Standin' On A Corner

Winslow Travel Blog

As I was leaving Walnut Canyon, feeling pretty low about the damage to the 200mm telephoto lens, I suddenly had the urge to go to Winslow, Arizona and stand on the corner there.

The trip down I-40 took about an hour and I found my way to the infamous corner. There I stood, and such a fine sight to see. I didn't see a girl in a flatbed Ford, but I saw the truck, parked right on the corner. The only person that slowed down to look at me was the local police who gave me a thumbs up sign.

(for those of you who don't quite understand the previous paragraph, lyrics from the song Take It Easy, by the Eagles.)

The local gift shop suggested I visit the La Posada Hotel. This was one of the last Harvey Houses built along the  Santa Fe railroad.
Well, I’m a standing on a corner In Winslow, Arizona And such a fine sight to see It’s a girl, my lord, in a flatbed Ford slowin’ down to take a look at me
It opened in 1930 and closed in 1957. Currently being restored, the owners have done a fine task of letting visitors travel back in time when it took 39 hours from Dearborn, Michigan to Winslow, Arizona by train.

I had lunch in the Turquoise Room, after a wait of about 45 minutes. The hostess explained that they were short staffed today. Food was alright, nothing spectacular, lemonade was very nice. The experience of eating in a former Harvey House was the highlight.

I walked through the complex and then outside through the grounds. Very nice and peaceful, even when a freight train would pass by. Would be interesting to make a reservation and spend the night in this historic hotel.

If you ever feel like taking it easy, and find yourself near Winslow, AZ, take the time to stand on the corner and then head over to the Turquoise Room for a nice meal. I did!
Well, I’m a standing on a corner…
Well, I’m a standing on a corne…
La Posada Hotel,former Harvey House