The Long Train Trip

Spokane Travel Blog

Glacier National Park
Left Portland, Oregon on the Empire Builder right on time (4:45pm), only to be delayed for 20 minutes because of a cargo ship that caused the draw bridge to go up. I didn't mind, it was nice to watch the ship sail down the river. After you cross the river, you are in Washington State.

I only had a coach ticket and when the conductor came by to collect it, I inquired as to the availability of a sleeper car. He asked me to check with him after we reached Pasco, Washington. When we reached Pasco, I again asked if any were available and he said he would check with the sleeping car attendant. At this point, I lost hope of getting a room. I watched a movie on my notebook and closed my eyes for awhile. Around 10:30pm, the conductor came by my seat and said a room was available if I wanted it.
Glacier National Park
I asked him how much it would be and he pulled out his book and checked the price, $175. I couldn't say yes fast enough. The price was $570when I booked my tickets, and it has risen to $720 at the station in Portland. This price not only includes your room, but all your meals as well.

I made my way back to the sleeping car and settled into room number 12. Finally, a bed to sleep in!

After a good nights rest, it was time to watch some of the best scenery you can see on an Amtrak train. Going through Montana and Glacier National Park is just an eye popping experience. We made pretty good time and I stayed in my room to relax, leaving for lunch and dinner, but returning to my room instead of going to the lounge car.

Time for bed once again, but watched Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo before I turned in for the night.
Spokane