Jungle Tribes

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

Well I'm back in Bangkok now but going to leave again today to go South to stay in some tree houses, do some inner tubing down the river and enjoy my last chance for water sports this yr probably. I have just come back from doing a 3 day hike up in the remote hilltribe villages up north near Thailands 2nd biggest city Chang Mai. We would walk for like 3 or 4 hours each day and then stay in the house of the locals of the village. The food has been really amazing definately well deserved after some of the walking. There were some very over enthusiastic roosters there that would go off at 3 am. Golly if you were using the roosters as your alarm you would always be early hehe.

We went rafting down some rapids on one of the Thai long bamboo rafts. It was really fun trying to guide the raft and miss all the rocks. We always didn't do so well and scraped a few rocks and the raft got flooded and nearly tipped a few times but it was awesome. We also got to for a elephant ride (I got to ride on the neck) with 2 people behind me on a deck seat. You could feel the tendons of its legs moving thru its neck. Apparently their skin is 2 1/2 cms thick so it is hard to get them motivated. Have you guys seen them run? It didn't look like they would. In all the museums you see they did war on them but it was be a half speed war if they were just walking towards each other. Kinda funny. We also stayed in their local houses that were made out of bamboo with reeds floor. It was nice and bouncy. Ahh good fun.

Anyway I better go and I prob won't be able to get back to the internet before I leave Thailand next Monday (28th) so I'll write again soon.
Chiang Mai