Copenhagen, Is This It ???

Copenhagen Travel Blog

Stroget

Arrived into Copenhagen on time, and were bused from the plane to the terminal. Airport was a lot smaller than my vague recollections of it :D Came out the arrivals hall, and found the area for transport tickets, as I already knew we could get the train or the meto into Copenhagen Central. After a quick look at the automatic ticket machines decided to leave working them out for another time, and joined the small queue at the manned ticket office. Decided to get all day tickets and then headed down for the train, as it was nearer than the metro.

Didn't have long to wait on the train coming, and after a few stops came into Kobenhaven H, as the central station appears locally.

Stork Fountain
Had sussed out where the hotel was, and wanted to do a recce to make sure it was where I thought it would be. No matter where you go the areas around the main train stations tend not to be the best, and as we found the street for the hotel you couldn't help but notice a few bars and a couple of strip clubs.

The peasants began revolting, saying this was not how they expected Copenhagen to be, though being tired from an early start may well have heightened the initial disappointment. I had chosen the hotel for the location, near station and Tivoli, but it was a bit strange and we wouldn't be able to check in until 4. With that in mind we headed back into the station to find the left luggage area, and after speaking to the folk at the counter were told to take 2 lockers to leave the rucksacks.

Hotel D'Anglettere

Having been before I thought we should head up across the square with the City Hall (Radhus) and up Stroget, the main shopping area, but all pedestrianised. Still murmurs of disatisfaction at how busy it was, as I think they were expecting something a bit more like Reykjavic. We wandered up the street, though it is really more an area with a variety of streets, and came to the Old Square (Gammel Torv) where there is the Charity Fountain, dating back to just after 1600. Troops still weren't impressed, even when we got to the Stork Fountain (Storkespringvandet) at Amagertov.

The street was still mobbed, and a church tower had caught my eye and decided we should head off in that direction, when I saw more interesting stuff to distract me and draw us further away.

Nyhavn From The Bridge
Came down the side of a canal where there were boat cruises departing and to the Christiansborg Palace and The Old Stock Exchange. We cut back across the canal and back up to the tower, which was the Nikolaj Church, where the tower is the only part that remains from the original built in 1580, the rest being destroyed, and then rebuilt, after a fire in 1795. The tower did not have a spire until 1909 whan money to copy the original spire was donated by the owner of the Carlsberg Brewery. It was all starting to get a bit more interesting now :), as I knew it would be ;).

We got back onto Stroget and followed it up to Kongens Nytorv, where, again like the main square at City Hall, a large area was fenced off for building work going on for the new metro line.Most impressive building there was the Hotel D'Angleterre, shining bright in the sun.

Amaliehaven Fountain
With the building works there were detour signs for getting to Nyhavn, and on reaching the end of it, found it to be every bit as stunning as any pictures you see of it :). We walked along the opposite side of it, taking lots of pictures, crossed over the last bridge and followed the road round to the Royal Danish Playhouse. Nice view over the water to the new Opera House.

Carried on along the waterfront, after yet another building works detour, and came to the Palace at Amaliehaven . Nice fountains and wandered in through the courtyard and out the right hand side. It was starting get quite warm by now and we stopped off to get drinks in a small cafe, before carrying on along the road to the Gefion Fountain, which I had seen here on TB and was on my list of things to see.

Gefion Fountain
 There was a smal hot dog stallon the street before you came to it, and my wife and son decided they were hungry and wanted something to eat, I, unusually, decided I would do lunch too, but carried on with my daughter and waited at the fountain. What I got left me unsure whither it was actually edible, don't think I've ever eaten anything that was pink and luminous before, but I suffered no ill effects so it must have been OK :D

By now the rest of the family were starting to warm to the place :D and how beautiful it is :)

Didn't know about the St Alban's Anglican Church beside the Gefion Fountain, or the Churchillparken beside it, with a bust of old Winnie under the shade of the trees. After sitting admiring the fountain for a bit we carried on through the park where ther were a few statues and came to what we had been heading for The Little Mermaid.

Ivar Huitfeldt Column
So close to the shore there were people clambering onto the rock and it took a while to get some pictures without the clowns. Some people are disappointed that it isn't some massive piece of art, but I liked it. Sat for a bit, apparently we had done a lot of walking :D and then headed up the way, after more drinks, and headed back to the Gefion Fountain via Kastallet.

First thing we came to, after coming through the gate, was a monument to Denmark's International Effort since 1948, which lists the areas/conflicts Denmark has sent troops or resources to help out. From there it was up onto the ramparts and a walk along them. The Kastellet is an old fortification, but is still used by the Danish military today. We walked down the seaward side, but I then noticed a wind mill on the opposite side, som my son and I walked all the way round it.

Den Lille Havfrue
Well I walked all the way round it, as he decided to catch up with me by charging down the slope from the rampart and up the other side to cut out the whole loop :D

Got back to the Gefion and decided to get the metro back to the city centre and headed for the station at Osterport. Got back to the Central staion and went to collect our bags from the lockers, as it was nearly 4 o'clock now and got to the hotel to find people waiting to get in. It was a self check in hotel, where they emailed you and texted a code, but it wouldn't work until 4pm. Got up to our room and sorted out, and I decided I wanted to go out and see more, but there were no other takers.

Headed back up to the Radhus and went right this time, basically following my nose to see what looked interesting.

St Alban's From Kastallet
Nothing like a bit of random wandering :) Came across the Carlsberg Glyptotek, an art museum, just past the side of Tivoli, the National Museum and the back of the Christianborg Slot, before cutting through a couple of nice wee squares and headed back for the hotel. After putting my feet up for a while, and grabbing a beer, decided to head out for dinner. I had seen somewhere I thought would be nice, but we passed a pizza place not far, at the side of the station, and decided to go in there. It was alright and we sat and had a good all you can eat type meal, before heading back round to the hotel.

Decided on the plan for the following day, and to go to Helsingor, and after a long day the others were soon asleep. I had met Travbuddy Christian(Chokk) in London a few weeks earlier and had been in touch and got a message to say he could take time out and meet up, the following day. Good thing about a fluid plan is it's easily changed, but I decided to wait until morning, rather than wake the others, to share this part of the 'new' plan :D

spocklogic says:
Quite the Power tour - Great day for photos and they came out well!
Posted on: Sep 03, 2013
missandrea81 says:
Congrats on today's featured blog, Ian!
Posted on: Aug 15, 2013
Dr_Seuss says:
:D The travels or the writing Vance ? ;)
Posted on: Aug 13, 2013
The Old Stock Exchange
The Old Stock Exchange
Nikolaj Church Tower
Nikolaj Church Tower
Royal Standard On Hotel DAnglette…
Royal Standard On Hotel D'Anglett…
Kongens Nytorv
Langeline Waterfront
Langeline Waterfront
Sofarsmonumentet (Maritime Monumen…
Sofarsmonumentet (Maritime Monume…
Monument To Denmarks Internationa…
Monument To Denmark's Internation…
Bridge At Kastallet
Tivoli Gate
Tivoli Gate
Copenhagen Hotels & Accommodations review
Omena Hotel Copenhagen
Bit strange, being a self check in hotel, but codes were emailed and sent by text umpteen times before we arrived. Check in isn't until 4pm, and there… read entire review
Copenhagen Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Astor Deep Pan Pizza
Plenty of places to eat, but Copenhagen isn't cheap. Came across this place while wandering up from hotel to city centre, and after long day walking a… read entire review
Copenhagen