To London - - - but 2nd Ashes Test ends

London Travel Blog

 › entry 1 of 3 › view all entries

There was a ballot for tickets for the first four days of the 2nd Ashes Test Match at Lords. I entered unsuccessfully. Then there was a chance to buy tickets for the fifth day; I bought three, even though I knew there was a danger of the game finishing in four. However it was reasonable to expect that there would be play, if only to make up for time lost through rain.

The first Test was played at Cardiff. There was no rain but the match was tightly fought and continued until after lunch on the 5th day. The second was to start just after. Things looked good. On the second day of the match our hopes tumbled considerably as Australia crashed to one of their first innings disasters. On the third day, after a terrible start to their second innings, England started to consolidate. By the end of the day Joe Root was on 178 not out. Surely he would be given some time on the 4th day to reach 200. he was given time but 'only' reached 180. it was not long before England declared their innings closed.

My son Guy had booked tickets for our trip to London that day, starting with a train from Leeds that could not be reached by a train from Todmorden, where his friend Paul and I live, on a Sunday, which it was. Fortuately another son, Stephen, gave us a lift to Halifax, from where we were able to reach Leeds in time. We had arranged two full days in London and, with thoughts of visiting Kew Gardens on the second one, we were staying at a Premier Inn at Brentford, just across the Thames. After a long walk from Gunnersbury Underground station in serious heat we arrived to hear that Australia's 6th wicket had just fallen. It was going to be touch and go whether there was any cricket to watch next day. The next three wickets did not last long which brought the last Australian batsman to the wicket. Then, wonder of wonders, the pair clung on like limpets. England were allowed an extra half hour at the end of the day, as can happen if there is a chance of a finish. That was equivalent to eight overs. They survived seven and we were wondering whether it would be worth going to Lords on the next day. On the third ball of the very last over of the day Graham Swann settled the matter by taking the final wicket. The fifth day, for which we had tickets, was not going to be.

jeminigirl says:
Awww such a shame =(
Posted on: Jul 30, 2013
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
London Hotels & Accommodations review
If anybody has managed to avoid seeing an advert that tells them that 'Everything is premier except the price,' they can't have watched much telly. I… read entire review
photo by: ulysses