And into Nepal....

Kodari Travel Blog

We left Everest in the afternoon a bit later than planned and left in pretty high spirits due to how lucky we'd been. Then it was time to head for the Nepalese border. Again another amazing driving day. I guess youd probably say that, ignoring all the major sites (Namtso, Lhasa etc), it just gets better and better the further west you head. So we left snowy, windy Everest in the morning, then within 2hours were going through a large area which looks how I imagine Afghanistan might (who would've thought theres so much desert in Tibet?), then going over some amazing passes with more stormy grasslands and a few more lesser known 8000+m mountains way off in the distance. And as we had been for the last 4 weeks always playing hacky sack when we stopped, sometimes with a few locals would join in.

Because we stayed at Everest the extra night we had to drive for much more of this particular day than planned. So we arrived at a small town near the border around dinner time, and ate while we waited for the road ahead to open up. This particular road is famous as being one of the most dangerous in the area, being insanely bumpy and with rock slides happening all the time (I heard sometimes everyone has to get out and walk so they can dodge Boulders if need be!). Plus they have this system at the moment where they close the road off during the day for road works, and let cars through one way from 8pm-11pm (this was us) and the other way from 11pm-3pm. It was sketchy as hell, winding around a steep hill with a 150m drop at the edge. On the way down this road the scenery made a rapid change from the Tibetan style to a sort of humid tropical jungle feel. I had no idea until now, but thats the style of terrain which dominates Nepal (or at least Eastern Nepal). It was exactly how I imagined South America to feel, big green valleys with plenty of streams and waterfalls etc. It was crazy to think we'd been looking at mount everest the same day. So it got darker and mistier, and the road got bumpier but it was actually a good laugh. We made it down to the bottom ok and checked into our hotel at the border town.

And the next morning we crossed the border! Ive decided I love the feeling of crossing major borders overland, theres so much going on with so many trucks and merchants going both ways, and just being able to walk (across something called the 'friendship bridge') into a country as foreign as Nepal. I also liked the feeling that this was the very edge of a country which stretches as far East as Beijing.

We sorted all the adminstrative stuff then got a bus down to 'The Last Resort', The place where we'd stay the next few days, which specialises in outdoor activities. I really cant exaggerate how different the landscape was from Tibet! Really tropical with mountain goats, and buffaloes, and little villages which Chickens running round. And it was warm! Last Resort itself just seemed like complete luxury. Each pair stayed in permanent tents, ours looked straight down into the trees in the valley. And there was a bar filled with cushions selling smoothies, and beer, and the first decent wine we'd had for ages.

Id been planning to definately do the canyon swing and maybe the canyoning and/or rafting, but the idea of Bungee jumping didnt even really occur to me. Trouble is the induction video did exactly what it was supposed to... make you feel as if signing up for everything was the ebst idea you ever had! So I signed up for Canyoning, Rafting, canyon swing, massage, and Bungee jumping.

Right... im gonna split this into 2 entries so it doesnt get too long...

photo by: lrecht