Touch Base Again

San Jose Travel Blog

The mountains and the plains

I had no choice but to end this road trip. This day was my father's birthday. I must be home at least before the sun set for our family dinner. It is rare for me to be around for his birthday, and being the good son, I just had to go home. This means, I cannot push for more towns up north. I had not been to Abra and Paluan. This is one reason for me to do this road trip again. I heard that the cleanest river in the country is in Paluan and the most amazing falls in Mindoro is in Abra de Ilog.

Anyway, waking up with hangover, we had our breakfast still in my friend's place. His wife prepared a very good breakfast for us. Just what we really needed since we got this pestering headache and also, we needed enough nourishment before we go for another 7 hours bus trip back to San Jose.

Bahay Kubo ("Nipa Hut")
The distance was just about 180 km, if the road is concrete from Mamburao to San Jose, it would only take us about 3 hours. For more than a decade, politicians always promise for the improvement of this national road but I guess, it's their talent not to fulfill any of their promises. Those bitches and pigs!

The best part of the trip is of course the sight of rivers, plains, mountains and the beautiful people of Mindoro. The trip normally has three stopovers. One is in the barangay after the town of Sta Cruz, next is in the town of Sablayan and lastly in Concepcion, Rizal. People would normally have their meals and snacks on this stopover but since the trip was extremely bumpy, I simply lost my appetite.

Needed to cover my whole face from the dust.
I only had Gatorade and few sticks of cigarette for the entire trip.

I observed that the mountains in Sta Cruz were somewhat "deforested". At the back of my mind, I hated people who cut the trees for their gains. Then I had a conversation with my father when I reached home. He said that those mountains barely had trees ever decades ago. Maybe they are mostly covered with limestone thus the possibility of having trees is rare.

The trip was really a pain... in the ass. And since the roads are not concrete, the roads are full of craters. My friend even told me that since it is no longer rainy season, the road we were on is by far a lot better. But for me, it was nothing but unnecessary discomfort brought by the incompetence and greed of the type of politicians this province have. The people deserves better than that.

We left Mamburao around 9:30 AM and reached San Jose around 4 PM with one minor aberration when a truck loaded with cases of softdrinks got trap in a soft gravel part of the newly flattened road in Burgos, Sablayan forcing the truck to tilt on the road side.

The unlucky truck
Some other buses tried to pull it back to the middle of the road; the whole maneuver lasted for 30 minutes, forcing several vehicles to wait.

I was just so glad to be home and at the same time, very happy that I did this whole road trip - 6 towns, 5 major rivers, 4 friends I last saw in High School, several bottles of Red Horse and lot of stories and endless laughter.

Bahay Kubo (Nipa Hut)
Bahay Kubo ("Nipa Hut")
Needed to cover my whole face from…
Needed to cover my whole face fro…
Entrance to the Penal Colony