Lovely Pandan Island

Pandan Island Travel Blog

Sablayan Port (aka Port)

Since we slept so late and had to wake up early, we were forced to push ourselves to get up and get going. After a very good breakfast in my friends place, we readied to go to Pandan. By the way, my couple friends own a big store. On a normal day, they would both take care of the business. And since one for them has to accompany us to sight seeing, the wife decided to stay and her husband would join us. Life is so not fair. hehehe

The place of my friend is just walking distance to the port where a boat would be bringing us to the Pandan Resort. It was a 15 minute ride to the island and luckily for us, it was a fine day, no wind, no big waves, no nothing. Pandan Island is a kilometer long island near the town of Sablayan.

Pandan Island white sand
Actually there are two Pandan Islands - Pandan North and Pandan South. The North is the developed one with decent resort owned by a French guy and his Filipino wife. And no, his wife is not from Olongapo. :)

Upon reaching we went directly to the bar, and since we were not checking in for a night there, we told the owner of the boat to pick us up at 6 PM. The island is very beautiful, to add to the picture is the mountainous back drop of the main Island of Mindoro. This is another extension of heaven on earth. The lady who owns the place seated with us on the same table. She initially offered us a local coconut wine called "tuba". It was a sweet kind of wine but it could really be potent.

The beach
She was very accommodating and a no-non-sense person.

Being a local, I am not detached from the politics of the place. The lady spoke of stories of graft and corruption committed by the town head. They have pending cases now since they still have a lease to the whole island until 2012 but somehow some people manage to fence an area of the island on the argument of having a piece of the island.

My friend knew there's a lagoon on the other side of the island but he has no idea how to get there. With nothing else to do and too hot to snorkel, we decided to explore where the lagoon is. Unknown to us, we would be passing the thick vegetation of the island.

The Lagoon. Lovely.
After walking for less than 30 minutes and with no lagoon in sight, quite scared and already tired, we set that if after 10 minutes and we don't see the lagoon, we would back track. I feared that there would be some creature like snakes in the forest. Luckily, after 5 minutes, we reached the lagoon. The sight there is very pretty; the trek was all worth it. The lagoon is small but there's a big rock formation at the middle of it resisting the flow of the tide. We stayed there for less than 30 minutes, our stay was cut short because of the stench of a rotting goat. We guessed that the poor billy went off a boat and was brought by the tide to the island. During the trek, we saw te barbwire that the lady owner was telling us. We even doubted if we would continue when we saw the wire, we thought someone would shoot us for trespassing.

After the trek, we went back to the hut to refresh then when the sun was almost setting, we decided to snorkel. Filipinos in general don't want to get sunburn; we have natural tan already anyway.

Me and the Myna. Yung bird ang Myna, di yung frind ko na katabi. hahaha

The corals by the beach of the island were truly amazing. I have not seen such formation of corals which is just right next to an island where it could have been destroyed easily. I normally see those types of corals far from an island, deep in the sea while I dive. A lot of colorful fishes, there are another marine creatures that can be seen too, some are weird looking and some are just plain ones. They told us that there's a lot of turtles too. Sad to day, I didn't not see even the tail of a turtle. Well, it was fine, I was feasting over the corals, the fishes (big and small), and the warm water. I love that snokeling, it was the best thing next to diving. I really want to dive soon.... My friend who said that this is a snapshot of what Apo Reef can offer, yes, the reef is named for me... no kidding...tehehehehe.

A trip to the famous reef starts in the town of Sablayan too.

I like!
The Pandan resort offers a dive package to the reefs as well but they said it would be more expensive. Apo Reef is told to be huge enough to be one of the biggest reefs in the world, only smaller to the world famous Great Barrier Reef. The reef is a protected area not and also nominated to be one of the UNESCO heritage sites. I hope to greed of the people be managed so as not to destroy this pre-historic underwater habitat. I have to put off my dive to the reef because my brother wants to dive with me there next year.

After we did the snorkeling, a myna bird a tamed one flew over my friend’s head which surprised us all. Then this bird, who we guessed was already accustomed to human presence, stayed with us for about ten minutes, transferring from the arm of my friend to me and back and forth. Experience like this is surreal and at the same time nostalgic. This is one of the highlights of my trip. :)

As the sun set, we went back, freshened up and settled again in the hut to wait for the boat.

Sunset in Pandan
We were accompanied again by the owner of the place. It was a gathering with so much beer (again) and stories and laughter.

The boat arrived and we headed back to the main land, only to be interrupted because the belt of the motor was loosen and had to wait for few minutes at the middle of the sea in the darkness of the night. After few minutes, we went reach my friend's place. Had our dinner, another pack of beer and slept late. Tomorrow, we would be going further north to Mamburao, the capital town of Mindoro. It would be another 3 hours on bus.

JeAr says:
:D
planisphere says:
hahaha sarcasm, about sa mars. hahaha
JeAr says:
oo, wala nga ko maipintas eh :P
The Lagoon. Lovely.
Me and the Myna. Yung bird ang Myn…
Me and the Myna. Yung bird ang My…
Arrival in Pandan
The food! I like!
The food! I like!
The forest
The forest
Wala ng trail, tuloy pa ba tayo sa…
Wala ng trail, tuloy pa ba tayo s…
Dead Goat!!!!!