Home Is Where My Heart Is

San Jose Travel Blog

No matter how many places I have been to and no matter how years were spent away from home, home is still home. It is where my heart is. There will always be this feeling of longing and nostalgia for this sleepy town. How can I forget the taste of the fruits that I grew up eating. How can I forget my father's cooking. How can I forget the spot in the Aroma beach where I puffed my first stick of cigarette or gulped my first shot of gin. How can I forget the place in Aroma Beach where I found my refuge and solace everytime life got hard on my adolescent life. There is so much memory I have for this place, my school, the church, the plaza where I normally went after school to buy banana-Q and palamig (cold drinks). I went home last christmas and this fiesta (May 1) and captured some shots of places around town.
Inside St. Joseph Church
Nothing much has changed since I left this place almost 15 years ago I think. This town is not as popular as Puerto Galera which is situated on the north east of Mindoro Island. But we do have our own share of beauty, nature that is.

Tourist spots in the vicinity of San Jose, Occ. Mindoro:

Ambulong Island - Ambulong Island is a 30 km² island with fine beaches, cliffs and abundant coral formations. It is characterized by white sand beaches, cliffs along pillars jutting out of the water, and underwater caves. Coral gardens and tropical fish are abundant in several coves. The coral gardens and the white sand beaches are fantastic. A fisherman's village is located at the sheltered side of the island. Ambulong Island is also a jump-off point to some of the dive spots in the area, such as the Iling Point, Baniaga Reef, Ambulong Bank, Dungan Reef, Sardines Reef, Apo Reef, and Manadi Island.
These dive sites are about an hour away by pumpboat from the Caminawit Port.

Ilin Island - Ilin Island has a village of shell divers, being abundant in shells and coral reefs. Mina de Oro Beach Resort (Barangay Inasakan, Ilin Island; an hour by boat from surrounding islands). This resort serves as a jump-off point to other attractions of the island of Ilin. There are ancient burial caves of early Chinese traders, ethnic fishing villages, and numerous dive sites from which to view many tropical fishes. Lush foliage encircle the clear blue waters of the South China Sea. There are scuba diving facilities, a 6.8 CTM compressor, seaport facilities, diveboats, and PADI and NAUI-certified instructors.

White Island (Manadi, Barrio Ilin, San Jose; 15 minutes by pumpboat from Caminawit Port) - White Island has a long powdery beach where buried turtle eggs are occasionally found.
It has an almost mile-long beach with smooth and powdery white sand. The tranquil and peaceful island is an ideal place for swimming, scuba diving and fishing. Turtle eggs are occasionally found buried in the sand, and visitors are cautioned to keep them undisturbed.

Apo Reef - Apo Reef is located in the territorial waters of the municipality of Sablayan, but San Jose is one of the the points of entry of those who wish to get there. The Apo Reef Marine Park includes the fascinating bird-populated islands of Binangaan and Cajos del Bajo, which are surrounded by waters with over 500 species of marine life and luxuriant coral growth represented by approximately 400 to 500 kaleidoscopic coral species.
A Native Mangyan Selling Tambo

Mt. Iglit National Park - It is located in an area shared by the municipalities of Sablayan and Calintaan, but San Jose is also the main gateway there. It is a sanctuary for the 'tamaraw (Anoa Mindorensis), an endemic specie of buffalo found only in Mindoro. It provides a nice eco-tourism, trekking, or mountaineering alternative to beach/dive resorts.

Sad to say, my pictures of these places are on hard copy. I will upload mostly are some sights found in the town proper. Hope you'll find time to visit my hometown.
Koralifix says:
Congrats on this featured blog! Good job!
Africancrab says:
Great blog, nice reading too. Now I really must visit this part of the world.
planisphere says:
thanks everyone. i promise to complete this blog soon! :) i still have two more entries which need to be completed... getting featured is always a happy thing. :)
Aroma Beach