Kingstown Baptist Church - Sunday

Kingstown Travel Blog

In the bus.
 Well, my saddest fear was realized when I ended up at Kingstown Baptist Church (KBC) Sunday morning and was alone save for three from the "Wise-guys" team. Gary and Betty Overstreet, and Don Overstreet and I sat in on the tail-ends of Sunday School and proceeded into the main service. It was actually quite an enjoyable experience, I was only a little sad to be separated from my teammates.

As things went, I did play "Beautiful One" on my violin WITH the band (keyboardists, drums and bass).  I was totally  blown away by the skill they had at improvizing with a basically seamless ease. Pastor Cecil Richards (the pastor of KBC), was very pleased with the addition of my violin, and put me on the spot by asking me "What can I do to get me to stay and play at his church?" In American terms Pastor Richards and his wife would be considered work-aholics.
The beach outside our back door.
He is a full-time pastor and going to seminary full-time as well, I believe; his wife is a full-time teacher and also finishing school simultaneously.

After the service, I went to the house built by Sobrina and (I think) Andrew. They treated myself, the Overstreets, and the Richards to a lovely meal, prepared by Andrew (an excellent cook), of mahi mahi, rice, salad, bread-fruit, and fruit. Everything was delicious and I especially  delighted in the dolphin fish(mahi mahi). Entertaining side note, I actually believed them when they told me it was dolphin I had eaten! :)

Everyone in SVG has a beach view from their back/front porch, but it was especially beautiful looking out from the well manicured patio of Sobrina and Andrew's house.

Back at the apartments, I spent the afternoon with Ron, and Rhonda at the beach talking and walking along the beach. Kirk joined in with some guys on the beach, who were playing soccer. Somewhere in there I read my Bible and wrote in my journal.

That night, I played at the church again and I met a bunch more people. I met Precious' cousin Keira Barnwell who wants to buy a violin and learn how to play. Also, I met Andre Martin, Abeni Richards who was around 5-6 years old and Alexandra and Alexis. Richol is two years younger than I am and an avid book reader and fan of green. I also met Kitron a twenty-year-old guy who was currently working at a boutique but voiced a desire to become a bartender/butler.

For dinner we shared a meal after the service in the church side building of multiple types of chicken, rice, squash, and other meat. All of our meals had chicken included in the menu; absolutely fabulously cooked. Most Vincentians only eat twice a day and so some of the Vincy people expressed huge surprise at our practice of making a "breakfast" in the morning besides the meals we ate for lunch and dinner.

Overall, the day was a very pleasant one with much joy and fellowship.

Kingstown