Our Vatican Day, but only after waiting in line for 2 hours!

Vatican City Travel Blog

stairs in the vatican museum

So we got up fairly early to get to Vatican City as we had been told that the line ups were pretty long. We got there at 10am..bad idea. The line up seemed to never end! It was insane, I've honestly never seen a line like that before. But the Vatican is one of those things you have to see, so we decided to buck up and get in line. We waited for at least a couple hours I'd say. Along the way there were many gypsies begging for money. One was even missing part of her scalp! It was pretty intense. Well, eventually we got in to the museums and followed the signs to the Sistine Chapel.

Inside the Vatican Museums was amazing! Everything was so elaborate and there were so many amazing paintings and sculptures. But it seemed to go on forever, there were constantly signs for the "Capella Sistina" so we figured it was right around the corner every time, but it probably took about an hour to walk through the whole thing.

The Sistine Chapel was pretty amazing though, but the crowds were unreal, there were so many people! And most of them were really rude too! They were pushing and shoving and talking really loud, it was so rude.

After that we left and headed to St. Peters Basilica where another big line awaited us. This one wasn't as long but after we got in we were directed straight to another line and I didn't know what it was for, but when I found out it was to climb a bunch of stairs and pay more money I decided to leave and just explore the Basilica itself. It was pretty huge, I had a good time wandering. Lori and I met up again and then we went back to our hostel.

Back at the hostel I learned that the cleaning staff and thrown out the paintings I had bought for my mom..which made me reeeally upset and pissed off. I only cried twice on my whole trip-once when my video camera broke and this was the 2nd time. I had spent so long picking out the perfect pictures for my mom and they just threw them away! Grr..so I was pretty mad and Lori was pretty sick so we just decided to call er a night early that day, plus we were going to Venice in the morning!

city rating number 18

1.5/2 Weather
-1 for hostel throwing out Melissa's paintings
9.5/10

travel_girl229 says:
Hey-- I'm planning a trip to Europe with a friend in summer '08. What hostels did you stay at in Italy and would you recommend them?
Posted on: Dec 02, 2007
st. peters
st. peter's
loong lineup
loong lineup
inside the vatican museums
i thought it was funny, just a whe…
i thought it was funny, just a wh…
sistine chapel