Hiking a volcano, swimming in hot springs and lunch on Thirassia island

Santorini Travel Blog

another one of my favorite pictures

So the day before we signed up for a full day boat tour that included the volcano, Thirassia island, and the hot springs as well as Oia for the sunset. We left the hostel in the morning and caught a shuttle to the port where we would get on the boat. For some reason the boat was delayed FOREVER, we sat there for soo long waiting for it to start moving. Buut eventually it did and we headed to the volcano to walk around it. When we got there we learned that it cost money to go on the volcano, which was pretty lame because we thought it would all be included in the price of the ticket we already paid for, but oh well. It was also soo hot, we heard between 40 and 45 Celsius. Walking on the volcano was soo hot, it was almost unbearable! But it was really beautiful. Nell wasn't feeling that well so she stayed behind a bit while we walked around the caldera.

Then we all headed back to the boat.

The next place the boat took us was to this little area that was a hot spring. Everyone left there stuff on the boat and jumped off into the water, it was an awesome experience. We swam around there for a while before having to get back on the boat. The water in the hot springs was orange which in turn turned my bathing suit orange. Oh well, it happens.

Then the boat took us to our next destination, Thirassia Island, a tiny island nearby. We docked there and had some time for lunch. We wandered down the beach looking at the different restaurants before finally deciding on one. We sat at a table that was right next to the ocean. If I tipped my chair back I would have fallen in, it was amazing. Looking around I couldn't believe that I was actually there.

the 4 of us having lunch
We ate chicken souvlaki and greek potatoes and it was delicious. Then we sat on the beach for a bit. Oh yeah, I also bought myself a new pair of crappy sandals to replace my ones that I lost the night before, which was really sad because I loved those sandals.

We got back on the boat and headed to Oia for the sunset. When we got to the dock we had 2 options, walk up the hill or ride donkeys. For me it was a no brainer. But Stu and Nell couldn't afford to so Lori and I treated them as Nell's birthday present(it actually was her birthday that day). It was an amazing experience! I couldn't stop smiling and laughing the whole way up, it was so much fun. Lori was freaked out because she thought her donkey was going to fall off the hill. Her donkey also shat on Stu's donkey's head, which was pretty funny.

When we got to the top we decided to rest for a bit in the only shade we could find. Then we continued up where we watched the sunset for the 2nd time. It was gorgeous. Then we took the bus back to Perissa beach and our hostel.

When we got back it was time to celebrate Nell's birthday, so we did some more drinking. It was a lot of fun. We played a fun game of Never Have I Ever before heading to a bar down the road for some tequila shots. Then Lori and I split up and I went to the beach bar. I'm pretty sure this is when I got into an arguement with a guy about Steven Seagal. He said he'd never had a girl correct him on Steven Seagal knowledge, so I was pretty proud of myself, seeing as how I love Seagal movies and am a huge fan(I know its lame, my friends make fun of me for it all the time). I hung out at the beach bar for a bit and then went down to the beach to chill there for a while. We stayed there until like 7am, to see the sunrise. It was gorgeous, and the only time I saw Perissa beach in daylight.

the boat docked at the volcano
the only shade we could find
the only shade we could find
tequila
tequila
lori and the crazy australian/asia…
lori and the crazy australian/asi…
Santorini