Mina de Chiflon del Diablo

Lota Travel Blog

Today I finally went to the mine in Lota, which is the major attraction in the Concepcion area. I was a little hesitant because everyone in Chile thinks a huge earthquake is coming, and I don't want to be stuck under 60 meters of water in an old coal mine when that happens. I ended up going because there are two girls staying with my host family for 2 days, and they wanted to go, so I figured I could tag along. When I got there I realized that today was national field trip day as there were about 100 high school kids wandering around. After a lot of mis-management by the tour operators we started our tour 30 minutes late. The tour probably could've been very informative if I had had a good guide, but unfortunately we had the guide whose sole mission was to make us understand how horrible the life is for miners. Luckily the tour only lasted 1 hour, so I didn't have to listen to the guide's sob story for too long (he used to be a miner). Unless you're forced to stay in ConcepciĆ³n for an extended amount of time I wouldn't recommend going on the mine tour because it's not all that exciting and there're better things to do.
Lota