Mi primer carrete!

Concepcion Travel Blog

Yesterday morning I was supposed to go explore Conce with a friend that is also studying here, but it was very rainy, and we soon learned that walking around Conce in the rain without boots is a bad idea. While my morning plans didn't work out the evening more than made up for it. A friend of my host sister was having a birthday party at a little cabin his parents had rented out, and I went with my host sister to see how parties down here are!

It turns out my friend from the States was also at the party, so we stayed together and fended off a million questions of ¿De dónde eres?. We also had some really good conversations with some of the more sober guests at the party. I have to say that my Spanish is improving very quickly, as now I can have meaningful conversations that don't require the native speaker to repeat everything to me twice. After a while everyone started dancing, so we went inside to see how Chileans dance. The only way I can describe it is freestyle Merengue. Soon a guy decided he had to teach me how to properly Merengue, so he plugged in his iPod and whipped me through 3 very intense Merengue songs. It was really fun, but a work-out that I wasn't expecting. After that we didn't stay much longer, but I have to say I was very impressed with the party, and I'm definitely looking forward to going to many more!
Concepcion