Out on the town...

Nashville Travel Blog

So the past couple of weekends have been non-stop. A few friends of mine from Auburn came up a couple of weekends ago and stayed at my house. Needless to say, fun was had by all. While they were here, we decided to venture out on the town and see what we could find. We decided to go to one of the most popular clubs here...Play. It's located right off of Church Street downtown right in the heart of the gay/lesbian district. There are several other bars located on the same strip, one being Tribe, a Nashville establishment for several years. Anyway, this was my first experience with a drag show and I will definitely say that it was awesome! We had the best time. The "playmates" (aka drag queens) were excellent. There were 6 or 7 of them and all performed at two different shows. The first show started at 11 and then the next one at 1. Luckily, we made it there to watch both. There is also a dance floor, but I didn't go out on the floor to dance. I was having too much fun watching the shows and hanging out with my friends. It's really packed in there, so if you decide to go, get there a little bit early. And there is also not a lot of parking available. We were very creative with where we decided to park. Like I said, this is an excellent place to come and just have fun. The only downside was that the drinks there are a bit on the expensive side. I could only afford to have 2 gin and sprites. Oh well.

This past weekend, my best friend came into town from Texas. She used to live here a couple of years ago back when we were both getting out of college, so we already knew some places to go. Friday night, we ventured out to Virago, a higher-class martini bar that plays 80's music and even shows the videos on a big screen. It was ok, although a little too stuffy for my taste. We walked from Virago down to Demonbreun Street, a well-known college hotspot. We went to our old faithful--Tin Roof. Of course, the same band that was playing back in our undergrad days is still playing there, and playing the same repetoire. It's still good to go somewhere and know the songs that are being played, even if you have heard them 800 times. Saturday night we went downtown to Second Avenue and decided to go into a new place, Buck Wild Saloon. It was alright. Apparently it is usually much more crowded than it was the night that we went. It's kind of like a wanna-be Coyote Ugly. There are girls dancing on the bars, but instead of just them singing and performing, it is a karaoke bar. We had a good time listening to the karaoke and I will say that it was easy to get a drink there. (BTW-they do NOT take debit cards. Only cash or credit cards. Weird.)

All in all, the past two weekends have been a lot of fun, but really exhausting. I am looking forward to some downtime this weekend.

Nashville