D3: Rotterdam

Rotterdam Travel Blog

After two short days in Amsterdam, we were surprisingly glad to leave for another ambiance. Amsterdam is cool and amazing, but we were curious to compare it to another town in the Netherlands.

We chose the second biggest town in the country which is also the largest port of Europe, and described as a “city of architecture”: Rotterdam.
At the minute we arrived in Rotterdam, we could see a huge difference with Amsterdam: huge buildings ultra-modern reminding skyscrapers surround the Centraal Station. It is really fun to look at those buildings and imagine architects having fun by realizing them!

We just wandered the entire afternoon in the streets.

I can’t explain why, but I am always amazed by bridges. I have some favorite bridges in Paris (Alexandre III, le Pont des Arts), I also really like the Tower Bridge in London and I can’t wait to see Sydney Bridge! Erasmus Bridge in Rotterdam was really nice to see!!!

At night, we went to Euromast, taking the opportunity to across Het Park.

Even if it was raining a lot, we tried to be brave enough to go out in Nieuwe Binnenweg. It is the street to find bars, clubs and coffee shops. It was really quiet, we did not expect a lot for a Monday night… We just had a beer (not Heineken, alleluia) and walked back to the hostel, under a pouring rain.

jarno_leijen says:
Rotterdam has way more modern building, because of WW2. Rotterdam is bombed heavily.
Posted on: Oct 26, 2009
Rotterdam Sights & Attractions review
Euromast is a very tall tower (180m) in Rotterdam. From there, you can have a 180° panorama of the city. We went there to late to go to the top, w… read entire review
Rotterdam