D1: Amsterdam

Amsterdam Travel Blog

As soon as we get out of Amsterdam Centraal Station, we discovered that we will have to be very careful anytime we walk in the city. Between dozen of trams, thousands of bikes and few people brave enough to get in by car, in addition of the driving on the right that I am not used to anymore, it was just impossible to know where to look!

Amsterdam is really peculiar; the atmosphere here is just incredible.

With its canals and old houses, the town is really full of charms.

Wandering in the town was very nice. It is small and even if streets have funny names, it is finally very easy to find the right way after getting lost!
You can easily walk from one place to another one, even if riding a bike seems to be better considering the number of bikes there! I have to admit that everything is well made for riding a bike safely. However, it will never be safe enough for me, I am worse than a disaster on a bike!

Of course, I knew that The Netherlands have a particular policy about drugs, but to see that was so weird! You can just enter in a coffee shop and order some joints, some other shops sell magic mushrooms and I even heard someone complaining to the police that a guy stole his weed! Sex is also a big business, but as I did not go to Red Light District, I just saw some sex shops or naughty clubs.
I don’t really care about that, but I just felt it was a bit too much. A lot of foreigners here were there only for that and I think it could “waste” a part of the beauty of the town.

We first went out in Jordaan area, but we did not feel at ease there: the atmosphere was not what we were looking for. We finally ended at Rembrandtplein, full of restaurants, clubs, bars and some coffee shops.

Amsterdam General Tips & Advice review
In many places as hotels, you can see a lot of little cards with offers for shops, attractions, restaurants, etc. Don’t forget to have a look th… read entire review
Amsterdam General Tips & Advice review
It is located just in front of the Centraal Station. They offer a lot of service, such as booking for attractions or reserving a hotel. We reserved a… read entire review
Amsterdam General Tips & Advice review
We experienced that the 14th of July is the busiest week end of the year in Amsterdam because of summer holidays and the French National Day, which is… read entire review
Amsterdam