End of a quick visit.

Kolkata Travel Blog

I'm actually finishing my trip out here, we've been in Kolkata for 7 days. Main reason is I'm running a project called Big Shot Cricket and its aim is to caoch children from villages and communities that would not normally get something like this. Normally the rich families can do this.

This is my third trip out to India and I have been all around the north before, but its my trip to Kolkata (Calutta) and I have to say it caught me by suprise. Not sure if it was the fact I had to leave my pregnant wife behind or the culture shock. I think it was the first option.

Its really humid here, especially as we are in the monsoon time too, although we have had hardly any rain. Some days the temperature is bearable, others you stand outside and are soaked before you know it. We (my mate Trev came too) met up with a friend who lives out here and that's been the best thing, we ate  well, and were looked after like kings. Best restaurant we went to was BarBQ. Great Indian food. In fact so far we have not had any sickness!

We visited a village about 4 hours outside of the city which was mud huts and the like, saw a dead python on the road, we plan to run a 2 day camp here with a team of coaches, problem is, no hotel, showers etc...we are talking beds of reeds, mozzy's and dodgy water but its a cool place to do it. The setting is very jungle book like with monkeys laughing at you from the trees.

There are a couple of other places we are going to be running this, some in the city too as well as the villages which is really exciting.

The markets in the city are retty awesome and you can get almost anything you want, best way to call home is either a sim card for your phone or have a friend who has wireless and use skype.

Its a busy city but loads to do, some really beautiful parts, get the ferry over the ganges if you need to get some breeze, cricket lovers definately should get a look at Eden Gardens.

I'm really looking forward to getting home tonight but feel much more confident about coming back in October with a group of guys to coach cricket.