A Day Without Food

Midrand Travel Blog

Originally posted Wednesday, October 11, 2006 on MySpace

Today is Wednesday, and I'm goin' to be yammerin' about Sunday.  I'm so behind..... and I don't care.

Sunday we slept in.... until 9:30.  I peeked out to check on the status of breakfast.  I didn't see the table set.  Ahsan said not to worry..... breakfast is until noon.  He also stated he didn't want to fast
(it's Ramadan.... Muslims fast during the day).  My response? "So don't."  Seems straightforward to me.  Of course he said something about "if only it were that easy."  He busted out the chips (or sound that be crisps?) and salsa.  I went and peeked out again..... Tables are still empty.  Once again Ahsan says breakfast is until noon.

It's about 10:30 or so when we get downstairs.  Nothing on the tables, nothing on the counters.  Ahsan inquires.... It seems breakfast ended half past nine.  The day he decides to not fast he can't eat breakfast, haha!  This also means no food for me either..... Other than a chunk of cheese I took to the room from Saturday's breakfast.

Our original plan for Sunday was to go to Gold Reef City.  It was the other recommendation the driver had provided to Ahsan Saturday.  However, I found it was down near Soweto, and decided we should wait and go later.  I wanted to go down to Soweto and the Apartheid Museum, so it does make sense to hit all those places while down that way.  It's costing a fortune to go anywhere.  Johannesburg doesn't have a very good public transport system within the city proper, and is non-existant in the outer suburbs.  I really should have applied for an international permit, and rented a car.  Saturday's travels was R900, that's ~$116.  Renting a car would have been soo much cheaper.  I should see if I can find a place that would rent to me without an international permit.

Anyway, we went to the
South African Museum of Military History and Johannesburg Zoo on Sunday.  I was sorely disappointed in the museum.  I went there expecting things that related to the countries history..... Various tribal wars and such not.  Instead, the museum was tryin' to emulate the Imperial War Museum in London.  Yes, on the website for the SA military museum it does ramble a bit about South Africa's involvement in WWII.  Honestly though, the involvement was because of it being a British Commonwealth.  The museum tried to hard to show a larger South African role in WWII.  It was clear to me the presentation was taken from IWM - London; except there was way too many words....... things became convoluted and I lost interest.

Next to the museum is the zoo.  I know it seems strange to go to a zoo in Africa when there are various reserves and game parks.  Besides, how can one not when it's next to he millitary museum that wasn't all that good.  Oh yeah, I almost forgot..... There was an Indian clothing store in the centre of the museum.  I'm not kidding.  It was so weird.  I could have bought shalwar kameez and saris on the grounds of a military museum.

At the zoo we saw the usual sorts of animals you'd expect to see..... Kind of.  I think many of the animals were native to Africa.  They also had Siberian Tigers; three of them.  I personally think the tiger enclousre was much too small for them.  Also, most of the exhibits with water had dirty water.  I guess I'm accustomed to American zoos.  I was tellin' my mom about the zoo the other day.  She pointed out that the various parks and perserves probably get the bulk of the tourist and governmental monies, which leaves the zoos with limited resources.

The weird thing about the museum and the zoo was the lack of gift shop.  Yes, the museum had shopping..... Indian clothes and military memoriabilia.  We never saw a gift shop at the zoo.  Oh well, that leaves more money for transportation expenses.

Chris came to pick us up
(and he was on-time actually), and he took us to Wimpy.  Ahsan had asked if we had them in the States.  I wasn't real sure, but thought I might have seen one at some point.  In looking it up, Wimpy in South Africa began in 1967..... I doubt Wimpy is an American chain.  The highlight of going to Wimpy was being mistaken for being on TV.

First I was asked if I was from South Africa.  Then it progressed to being asked if I've been on TV.  Not from South Africa, and I've never been on TV in South Africa
(not that I'm aware of anyway).  The woman asked if I was on a comedy show..... She was convinced I was on some sit-com on TV.  I kept apologising, saying I wasn't sure who she thought I was, but it wasn't me.  Once our order was ready, the lady asked if I was sure it wasn't me (as in this comedy actor), the woman in the kitchen thinks I'm this person too.  Unfortunately, they never say what show or the name of the person.  I'm sure these ladies have probably went on to tell people people they saw this actress.  I wish I knew who they were talkin' about.

I should have pictures available in the next few hours.....