Reading Day

Istanbul Travel Blog

Originally posted Wednesday, March 15, 2006 on MySpace

Today I decided to stay in although I should have done that yesterday given what the weather was like.  I ate breakfast in my pajamas, and there were new hotel guests thus no breakfast plate was waiting for me on the little table next to my room.  The coffee today tasted bitter.  Perhaps the guests also had coffee, and mine was made with theirs.  I don't know.

I thought about doing some homework.  I read the New York Times from March 7th instead.  I had picked up the paper at the airport in Tucson, and never read it.... until today.  The best article was fudge and corn syrup used to learn about the different types of lava.  The articles appeals in two ways: 1) I'm a kinesthetic learner, and 2) It involves food, ha!  There were lots of other really good articles.  I think the NY Times usually does have great articles; I should read it more often.

My idea to go to Z├╝rich is out.  Because I bought a discounted fare, and the insurance on my ticket was made with the consolidator, not the airline, if I wish to leave Istanbul early, I have to buy a new ticket.  Bleh.  I have explored going on a train ride.  My first thought was to go to Thessaloniki, Greece, however, there are no hostels and the only hotel with a room is 135 Euros a night.  Now I'm considering a trip to Sofia, Bulgaria.  Then I start thinking that maybe I could take a train back to London.  I don't know what I will decide to do.  Maybe I'll just stay put.

Hmm, it is 5pm here.  I should probably go eat dinner.

photo by: Memo