Last Moments in Istanbul

Istanbul Travel Blog

Originally posted Monday, March 20, 2006 on MySpace

It's 7am and I'm surprised I'm awake.  I actually went out last night.  Not only did I go out, but I even took in some alcohol.  Now you all are wondering how that came to be.  Yesterday at breakfast there were some older gents (as in my parents, age) from England discussing the Bosphorus Ferry Cruise.  I still hadn't done it, wanted to, but was wavering a bit because I didn't feel like getting all covered up and going out.  But since they were discussing the ferry, I jumped on the opportunity to ask if I may tage along, explaining I was here alone and it's troublesome to go out alone.  So we went to the ferry landing together.

We chatted and discussed many things.  At the last stop on the Asian side there was a 3 hour layover before the ferry left to return back to the initial starting point.  At this location was an old Genoese castle (more like a look out tower).  We made the hike up to it (I thought I was gonna died because it was so steep).  Anyway, on the way back to out starting point we chatted some more.  They said that since it was my last night in Instanbul they,d be my escorts out for dinner.  Cool....

And then back at the hotel we met a French couple from Paris.  They had a terrible day..... Someone snatched the woman's purse.  Lost some money, credit cards, camera and most importantly, both of their passports (and they are leaving today).  After talkin' quite a bit at the hotel, the 5 of us decided to go to dinner.   We went to a fish place that became too much trouble to be at.  We moved on to some place else.  We got back to the hotel about 11pm.  At that point my alcoholic beverage count was two Turkish beers, a couple glasses of Turkish wine, a taste of raki, and some sort of mint liquor that tasted like Scope.  Got back to the hotel and had a few more glasses of wine, and didn't go to bed until 1am (and I woke up at 6:30am.  I couldn't go back to sleep, probably because today is the day I head back to London.

And with that...... I should go make a quick run to the store for a few things.

Istanbul