Post Red Eye Flight - Its mischief time!!

Sao Paulo Travel Blog

Get into Sao Paolo at the unearthly hour of 5.15am.  The Word is I am to be met by some local people who will arrange our transport to the Games Hotel.  Pass through customs and immigration and three shyish girls in Games T Shirts appear and ask if I was with the Australian team and if I was the expected coach.

Fantastic I think all under control and just another half hour or so before a few others appear and we are off on a bus to the hotel.  First exposure to the Sao Paolo traffic and definitely an eye opener even at that hour of the morning.  Word of advice dont take the front seat in any vehicle if you feel any concern for your future existance It is not for the faint hearted!!

I take to calling most of the drivers I meet Arton Senna which attracts some interest and many looks of confused bemusement.

Hotel Arrival

Quick check in and then its off to work out what I can have under control before the rest of the team arrive!!    Meet the major games administrator and then proceed to collect information in exchange for small toy koalas which will become something akin to currency through out the games.  These tiny, cheap but very cute pieces will buy our way onto buses, get us extra food and generally paint us a group of fun and generous people from that mysterious far away land down under.

Jo arrives later and we lunch and dinner together while waiting for the others.  Crash in the afternoon as still very tired from the red eye trip from Santiago.

Just after 1.00am the rest of the team arrive and a sorry bunch they are, feeling the effects of long travel and  a long painful stopover in Santiago.  Quick coordinated checkin and off to bed for this group.  Meeting arranged for the morning and trainings confirmed.

Sao Paulo