Day 10: Dani in NOLA, The beginning.

New Orleans Travel Blog

The Big Easy, ....yes folks, New Orleans!

I am staying at a friend's place for the moment, but I will move to an hostel later on today. I met John through the Hospitality Club, and he saved my ass at the last minute giving me a place to stay last night, feeding me, and showing me around town. It was such a cool night, and weirdly enough, it felt more similar to the way we hang out in Italy than in England. Thanks man!

But let's take it from the beginning.

The day before yesterday, Friday, I finally arrived in New Orleans after a bus journey that lasted, on and off, three days. Greyhound's strapline is "See America", but what I've really seen a lot of, were endless bus stations.

On the way, I stopped for a day and a night in Charlotte, NC, where I met Cisco, who served me lunch and then asked me to spend the day with him and his friends. See all the photos in my latest album.

Climate and landscape changed a lot in the last few hours of trip, and I've actually woke up at some point, looked around and saw we were crossing a long bridge over had got to be Louisiana.

In New Orleans, I grabbed a taxi to downtown and landed at this scruffy hotel called 'The Empress'; dirt cheap, but kind of sad and falling apart...I met cool people there too though, and it was only a few blocks North of the French Quarter. Shower, cigarette, and then, as a good tourist, I went straight to Bourbon St, the heart of good-old-party-hard NOLA.

I was a bit lonely though, skint and tired, and so I ended up walking a lot, drinking a $1 beer on some random steps, and walking a bit to my room, and fell asleep next to this very same laptop without even realising it.

A bit of a bummer as my first day in the Big Easy, but first days are always weird, aren't they really?

But don't worry, the sun is shining now (not literally, but hey...), so Stay Tuned for much more from this extraordinary town. I will also start to upload photos shortly, for the moment enjoy the ones about my journey From Here to There.

One last thing, check my friend John's website at

All his travel posts are there, and he's been to hell of a lot of places around the world in the past three and a half years., so it's well-worth a look.