Being in the right place at the right time pays bucks.

Minneapolis Travel Blog

Wow, what a day that was!

For those of you who still don't know, I've just had the most intense 24 hours of my (recent) life! I arrived in Minneapolis barely two days ago, and was suddenly sucked in a whirlpool of tragic events in which I ended up being involved closely through the lens of my camera.

I am giving for granted that you all are aware of what happened in Minneapolis yesterday (Wednesday, August 1) at about 6pm local time...A bridge that carried a busy, eight-lane highway collapsed into the Mississippi River, bringing down with it several cars, trucks and also a schoolbus.

At the time, I was lucky enough — journalistically speaking — to be sitting on the 'al fresco' terrace of a nearby bar, sipping a happy-hour bottle of Stella, when the tragedy happened.

From my entry on NEED Magazine's blog:

I immediately got onto my bike, and rode to a nearby bridge where I saw the scene as it appeared just a few minutes after the shocking event. But | felt I wasn't close enough, so, doing my best to find my way in a city that is completely new to me, I finally got to a better vantage point, the bridge on 10th Avenue, right next to the fallen one.

The area was already cordoned off by Police and swarming with onlookers, but I managed to negotiate a good spot from which I started shooting as many pictures as I could, and also a few videos.

The adrenaline was high and kept me going — until late into the night as a matter of fact — but every now and then I found myself resting my finger to stare in awe at the scene that was unfolding right in front of my eyes.

Full text available on

That was that, my personal adrenaline-filled, journalistic-driven approach to unexpected, dramatic events.

What happened today, or better, what kept happening today has been, in a way, more interesting, and certainly more unexpected, thanks to the pictures and the videos I shot. After a couple of hours, the Police finally kicked even members of the press out of their way, so I rushed back to NEED's HQ, where I knew I would be able to access the Web, and started uploading all my material.

It turned out to have a huge public response, and impressive media interest. New York-based photo agency WorldPictureNews has offered to syndicate my images globally, and thanks to the videos I've posted on Youtube, I have been interviewed by CNN and NBC, and some of my footage is being broadcast by them.

Result: over 114,000 people checked my photos on Flickr, and a total of 125,000 watched my three videos on Youtube. This in less than 24 hours.

So, I consider this as a good start of my internship. Don't you?

Stay Tuned.