Day 4: Sunday Gospel with the Ladies.

New York Travel Blog

Gospel Ladies.
It's Sunday and, for the first time in really long time, I have been to church. But, staying as I do in Harlem, it had to be a gospel service.

Now, it wasn't fully gospel as I would have liked it to be (with people singing and jumping all over the place), but it was interesting and touching nonetheless.

The ladies were out in their Sunday best obviously, with matching hats and broad smiles. Especially for me and a few other visitors, and they actually took a few minutes at the beginning of the service just to thank us (me and three more white girls) to be there.

Always quite early in the ceremony, we all spent 10 good minutes to browse around the church (Mount Olivet Baptist Church, on Lenox Avenue if you ever happen to be passing by) and shake hands with basically everybody, wishing a good morning. Interestingly different from my Catholic upbringing, when we used to shake hands as a sign of peace towards the end rather.

There was some gospel singers too, but they only did one song (that unfortunately I couldn't film), and the rest of the mass went on with normal Gregorian sort of tunes.

I hope to find more when I'll travel in the South of the US. I will keep you posted.

Stay Tuned.