Leaving for Port Columbus Airport...

Cincinnati Travel Blog

So it's Wed night (8/1) and I've been back from Indianapolis for a couple of hours now.  I'm transferring stuff from one piece of luggage to another, trying to get some laundry done, and basically get ready to leave tomorrow afternoon for the long weekend.  This week became very hectic when I found out on Mon at noon that I would be driving up to the home office in Indianapolis on Tuesday morning and spend the two days working up there instead of back home.  So all the last minute stuff gets crammed into a couple of hours instead.

Going into work for a 1/2 day tomorrow since my flight out isn't until almost 6:00 PM.  I get to drive up to Columbus/CMH (about 85 miles from where I live), get on a plane, and fly back to Cincinnati/CVG (actually about 35 miles from where I live and over in Kentucky).  Then I have a 2+ hour layover before getting on to Albuquerque.

So why not take the direct flight from CVG?  Short answer is $$$.  Cincinnati is reportedly the most expensive airport in the United States for domestic flights.  The Delta hub here means that Delta flies something like 85% of the flights from the airport.  And there is no real low-cost carrier presence.  So when I booked this flight back in late April the cost of the ticket out of CVG was over $600.00.  Drive up the road a bit and the ticket I purchased cost $238.00.  And still on Delta of course.  So some extra gas and additional travel time, but almost $400 cheaper.  While I can often balance the time savings verses the cost when I travel for work, when it comes to flying on my own dime, I have a hard time justifying it for a personal trip.

So it's off to Columbus tomorrow afternoon, to begin the trip.  Hopefully I'll be packed and ready in time to leave.

Cincinnati