Weekend in the outskirts of Merida

Merida Travel Blog

Esperanza feeding Camilla
Everything is going well here in Merida. Little by little (poco a poco), my Spanish is coming together. The time is moving quickly - but I´m trying to soak up every minute of it. I haggled with a dishwasher store owner to buy one of the 3 guitars he had in the back. It´s awesome - a Columbian classical style guitar with a case for $27US

My host mom cooks pretty well, but not necessarily healthy. Do you like mayonnaise on your salad? How about your pizza or in your soup. I had to let her know. :)

There are 8-10 night clubs in Merida and we´ve been getting a taste of many of them. Reggae ton is the primary music in the city, but Salsa and Meringue follow closely behind. Being a gringo here has its advantages. We can walk up to a Venezolana (Vnzln girl) and say, ¨Enseña me (teach me)¨ and the rest is history.
Rappelling
It is fun although frustrating to practice speaking Spanish with the locals.

This weekend we went in the mountains to one of our friends houses. The music never stops. As soon as we put all of our bags down, the boombox is blasting reggaeton and salsa music. His aunt and all of us took turns making a stew over a fire. Some of the Norte Americanos went to the river to take a dip, but I decided to stay back as the water was freezing and the air was starting to get cold.

Many of the Venezolanos like to drink. I mean chugging from bottles of liquor like it is Iced Tea. This can make evenings fun, but it can also be a nightmare if you try to go to sleep before 4am. If they are awake, they will keep you awake - guaranteed.

My friend Julia and I made friends with two twin brothers who own a cell phone store here in the centro. After beating them up on price for a temporary price - they invited us to go rappelling. For the folks who know me, I live for a good haggling session. So after two or three hours of sleep, they picked us up in there 4x4 to go into the mountains to climb and rappel. I hadn´t done this in years and it was a great time.

The research project is cutting my time thin, but forcing me to balance my time appropriately.

The beauty of the city, for the most part, isn´t in the central part where we live, but in the surrounding areas of the center.
Rappelling
Hike up to friends cabin where a g…
Hike up to friends cabin where a …
along the path.