Emerald Isle, NC and vicinity...Definitely a Jewel

Emerald Isle Travel Blog

This is my first, so please bear with me.

Tuesday night my little family left for the Emerald Isle in North Carolina.  My husband and I have a soft spot in our heart for the beaches in this state.  They tend to be less crowded and full of the most interesting history we have ever seen or heard of.  This is great, since we tend to not be idle people.

The area is wonderful and the beaches are a definite favorite compared to the ones we saw on the west coast.  While in the area, we visited so many things.  The first day included a visit to Fort Macon.  It was a military fort that is now a state park.  If history is something you enjoy, this is completely up your alley.  Wednesday also took us to Beaufort, NC.

This is the city where the pirate Blackbeard met his death.  It has a wonderful boardwalk and the NC Martime Museum that has a display of some artifacts from Queen Anne's Revenge, Balckbeard's flagship.  The entire story of Blackbeard captures us.  Ocracoke is another great place to visit if you want more to the story.

Cape Lookout Lighthouse was a definite stop for us.  I love lighthouses and the romanticism of them.  It intrigues me and my hubby on how they were built to begin with.  Cape Lookout is one of the most beautiful ones we have seen, and we have seen a lot of them between the east and west coast.  It should be a definite destination for everyone.

We also ventured further south to Willmington and Bald Head and Oak Island.  Wilmington is defintely another city we want to return to to visit for longer.  We stopped and visited the USS North Carolina Battleship Museum.  My hubby loves this aspect of history.  He is an engineer and loves looking at these different sites.  Plus it brought back a memory of my grandfathers.  They both fought in WWII and the USS North Carolina was in service during those times.  While south, we also saw Old Baldy on Bald Head Island (gorgeous!) and Oak Island.  Oak Island is a baby compared to the others and definitely does not have the same history and feel as the others we have visited.

Of course, the beaches were awesome.  It was my son's first time at the beach.  He is a handful at 15 months, and LOVED the salty sea and the warm sand.  I honestly thought we brought back half of the beach to the hotel each day we went.  It was amazing to watch his emotions go from fright initially to extreme excitement and jubilation at the sight of the water.  I think I have a fish on my hands.

Now the countdown has begun for the next vacation.  Philadelphia here we come.

Emerald Isle