Keweenaw Peninsula

Eagle Harbor Travel Blog

Eagle River Falls
We took a day trip up the Keweenaw Peninsula. It was a perfect time of year, as there were few tourists, and the weather was great! The Eagle Harbor area had many places to see! As we drove, there were interesting changes of scenery, as we were either right along the shore, along a beach, or surrounded by trees! In Eagle Harbor, we found a historical marker for the Lake Shore Drive Bridge. This bridge crosses the Eagle River, and has a wonderful view of the Eagle River Falls.  On route to Great Sand Bay, from the car we saw, and nearly passed Jacob's Creek Falls. It is only steps from the road. On the west side of the road, there was also a marvelous dome/onion shaped gold building. It was such a sight, I made my husband turn around so I could get photos! I found out later from our guidebook this building was a monastery and church. The monks also have a small jam stand near the monastery they operate during tourist season (after Labor Day). We spent a couple hours walking along Great Sand Bay. There is a nice view of the monastery from the beach. It was peaceful and we only saw a couple other people.
Lake Shore Drive Bridge