Touring the Lesser known ruins in Western Region of Angkor around Western Mebon

Siem Reap Travel Blog

Pr Neam Rub

The following day my dad headed back to his home province of Kampong Cham. I had initially planned to travel to Battambang for 2 days, but in the end decided to stay in Siemreap and visit a few more lesser known ruins in the area.

Chear, a family friend and I headed out to the western region of Angkor, where we visited some very out of place, and not so frequented by tourist ruins. As I arrived at; Prasat Ak Yum, Prasat Phnom Rung, Prasat Kas Ho, Prasat Wat Nam Ruol, Prasat Prey Khmeng and Prasat Trapeang Seng, I understood why no one visited them.

The sites listed above are very minor sites with nothing much remaining, some only had a few sandstone blocks scattered around the area, while the ones that were still standing were very small. Only die hard Angkorean freaks like myself would spend the time and effort to visit these ruins. But as they say "it's not the destination that matters, but the journey to get there".

My had planned to catch a boat out to Prasat West Mebon in the middle of the West Mebon Lake, but the greedy boat drivers refused to budge from their $8US fee. So I gave it a miss and decided I'd revisit it when I'm travelling with some other people, so I can split the costs (This is so because I'm running out of money, due to the incident in Vietscam).

Prasat Phnom Rung