A Taste of the Evolved Traditions of the Floating Market - Selling Souveniers

Ratchaburi Travel Blog

Candy Making
Well after arriving from the so clean city of Singapore, I quickly made my way to the southern bus station direct from the airport. I caught a bus to Damnoen Saduak and the following morning booked out a boat from a nice man Aree (081 9415952).

That evening I wandered around a nearby market located within a Wat ground. It was here that I tasted a few more creepy crawly delights such as the cicadas, cacoon and grasshoppers... YUM hmmmm.

At 7am Aree picked me up from Ban Suchoke Resort (by the way, the prices in the guidebooks are all wrong, its CHEAP!!! and has a very nice setting) and we headed to his house to change transportation.

The boat ride was a nice pleasant ride (like per usual) but I don't think I would of been happy if the boat tipped over, because the water looked absolutely disgusting (I still don't know how the locals still clean their dishes and bathe in the water).

As we sped off along the canals it showed the daily life of the locals which was totally different in comparisson to life in Bangkok. As we approached the actual floating market area it was evident that commercialisation has taken over, everyone was selling souveniers hehehe.

Besides the extensive banks of souvenier sellers, it was still a scenic ride through the canals as you witness the locals on the boats with the traditional Thai hats trying to sell their goods.

The next stop was a temple, don't know what the name of the temple was but it was amazing to see soo many fish in the canal as you fed them.
They splashed everywhere and everytime you threw them some fish food. Yes Yes I know I'm a little kid, but I love fish HEHEHE.

I got dropped off at the bus stop and I made my way to Samut Songkram because I had to change buses in order to head to Petchaburi province. I met 2 other foreigners on the bus, a Polish/Austrian couple, Philip and Julia, who were also heading to Petchaburi. We were stunned when we were simply dropped off besides the super highway and told to catch another bus over there... across the highway.

After a bit of misunderstanding and trying to ask which bus to catch from the locals across the highway, we finally jumped on the right bus and headed for Petchaburi.

Upon arrival I settled in at Rabieng Guesthouse and the couple left their bags there and we headed off to the Khao Luang Caves 5km out of town.
To our surprise the Samlaw out of town was very cheap at only 200B return, whereas the samlaw ride 1km away to the guesthouse cost us 60B!

The cave was amazing, it had monkeys frolicking everywhere around the entrance and Julia was absolutely loved it... as there are no monkeys in Europe. Inside the cave were many shrines and many Buddha's, in the second room was a magical place... we were touched by heaven LOL.

The light shining in from the sky through the hole above was so mystical. It was amazing with the settings of the nearby Buddha's and of course the quiet chanting of the monks next door.

After the caves we got dropped off at Khao Wang & Phra Nakhon Khiri Historical park. We caught a cable car up and was greeted with a very nice breeze. The temple at the very top was very small, there were also a very deformed Khmer style prang and 2 other stupas nearby.
I don't think its a major site, but as we headed down everyone was preparing for the night festival.

It seems that no one in Petchaburi has any sense of direction or knows where the bus stations are. As we tried to ask for directions to the bus station everyone gave us a different answer... Even the people at the guesthouse! In the end we succeeded, Philip and Julia left for Hua Hin while I stayed behind in Petchaburi.

That evening I jumped on the net for 2 hours and it was such perfect timing as I approached the Khao Wang Hill to see the night light, fireworks were going off. So I guess I was very lucky that I was occupied chatting to the people back home LOL.

The following morning I set out for Wat Kampeang Leang, the western most Khmer ruin in Thailand. Along the way I stopped off at Wat Yai and it was here that I was attacked by blardy a pack of Vietscamese.
.. oops I mean dogs. Around 30 of them surrouded me and they were all barking their heads off. The Damn monks in the Wat heard and saw me walking around the temple and they didn't even come over to help out (I know I'm not good to curse monks, but hey if you were in my shoes you'd do the same). One of the monks just walked away as I was being surrounded by the mutts, and when I was standing still they were pouncing and jumping at me. I know your supposed to make loud noises and look aggressive, but I think that only works when theres 1-2 around you, when there's 30+ you can't really do much. As I tried to slowly walk to the Wat gate to leave the compound, one of the dogs had a go and took a bite, barely missing my leg. I felt the teeth as it grazed my leg and was fortunate that it didn't manage to get a grip of it.
My pants bear the marks of the damn mutt, with a huge tear the at back of the leg :S.

At Wat Kampeang Leang, there are currently 3 towers still standing with a gateway of some sort, whereas the other 2 have all but gone. Surrounding the group of towers is also a laterite wall.

Once again I was misdirected to different bus stations and bus stops, as I was trying to find a bus to get to Nakhon Pathom. When I did find the right bus, it cost me a whopping 80B for the journey.. I don't remember much else as I fell asleep...
photo by: droonsta