Sukhothai, the Golden Age of the Kingdom of Siam

Sukhothai Travel Blog

Sunrise
I arrived in Sukhothai at like 4:30 in the morning, as I caught a night bus from Bangkok the night before. Luckily Plar bought my tickets in advance as there were so many people stranded at the enormous bus station in Bangkok due to the fact that it was nearly New Years and everyone wanted to head out to the countryside.

The bus station was a very hectic place, as many buses were added and the bus bay was changed to different multiple places. To make matters worst the announcements were all in Thai, but thankfully Plar was with me... THANKS PLAR!

The bus continually stopped every hour, so I was exhausted the following morning.
Khmer Ruin of Wat Sri Sawai
However I could not afford to waste any time so I quickly checked into Ban Thai guesthouse, and caught a very different form of a tuk-tuk (that could only be found in Sukhothai) to the old city.

Upon arrival, I hired a very asian bicycled and cycled my way through the ancient city. Wat Mahathat was probably the most impressive ruins located in the city. Considering I was there so bright an early, I had to whole city almost all to myself.

My next stop was Wat Mahathat, which contained three Prangs (Khmer styled towers). It is said that the current Sukhothai site, was actually restuccoed, or bult ontop of a Khmer site.

I think I'll list all the ruins I visited, rather than trying to say so and so about every single one.
- Wat Sri Sawai
- Wat Traphang Ngoen
- Wat Sra Si
- Wat Chana Songkhram
- King Ramakhamkaeng monument
- Wat Mai
- Prasat Ta Pha Daeng (A Khmer lonesome ruin that sits neatly besides the road)
- Wat Rarasak
- Wat Son Khap
- Wat Phra Pai Luang (A large Khmer enclosure, with a massive moat that surrounds the site.
Only one of the original Khmer towers still stand, but all around are later additions during the Sukhothai period)
- Wat Sangkhawat (a very small set of out of place ruins, that were a bit hard to locate as it was kind of off the beaten track)
- Wat Sri Chum
- Wat Samphom Him
- Wat Mongkhorn
- Wat Tuk
- Sukhothai Museum

All in all, after looking at the map and roughly calculated where I went, I thinking I peddled at least 40km up and down, in and around, in and outside of the old city.

That evening, I received a sms from Plar, informing me that there were a few bombings in Bangkok. Of course I naturally sort of freaked out, but I was thinking more about my parents of what they would be thinking when they hear it on the news.

Well I had a few non-alcoholic drinks with a German and Scottish couple, and just relaxed at Ban Thai guesthouse listening to the locals play the guitar and sing.
Khmer ruin of Wat Phra Doi Luang