Serene, peaceful, quiet Inle Lake

Inle Lake Travel Blog

As I arrived at Heho Airport, I was very peeved off as the taxi fare from Heho to Nuang Shwe was a whopping $20, they said that if I was going alone its $20, if I can find someone to share its half that. However there cannot be more than 2 passengers... WTF!!!

The whole taxi service in each area or at each airport seem to be under the control of one pimp, who has set a certain price and will not budge from it. Obviously I had to take the darn taxi as there were no other transportation services available, and I wasn't going to walk to Naung Shwe.

The road to Naung Shwe was absolutely appalling, Oh I might also add that all the taxis and transportation in general are like all over 40 years old!!! The scenery to town was very nice, as we drove along the mountains and so fourth.

Along the way, we passed another taxi that had literally lost a wheel, so we stopped and offered the taxi driver and the passenger a lift.
It turns out that the passenger was another Japanese, Koki. It's soo strange, it seems for 1 week I'll meet all Japanese, another it'll be Canadians, another Australias :S:S:S

We ended up staying at the same guesthouse, and had dinner. We organised a bright and early boat trip on the Inle Lake the following morning. And by god it was cold, it was totally foggy!

The ride out to the lake was freezing and foggy, it soon cleared up and we were greeted with a huge expanse of water. We saw the traditional Inle Lake fishermen, fishing in their boats and of course our cameras came out heheh.

We stopped at a Silversmith who specialised in making little silver swimming fishes, I bought a few hehehe.

We continued along the lake, heading for Indein Paya. An ancient set of ruins that was constructed by the Shan's.
Indein Paya consists of a few hundred stupas all neatly packed together. The journey up to the Paya was very unpleasant, as along the whole corridor passage way to the temple were hundreds of shop vendors. This is within the temple compound, so I found it a bit odd and not quite right.

The view from the top of the nearby hill was amazing. However the little kids at the base were all little bastards, all asking for money... Sigh TOURISTS RUIN EVERYTHING!

Our next stop was Pau Daugh Paya, a very big temple on the lake. Once again on the first floor under the temple were all shop vendors. The object that the locals praised at this temple were 5 golden rocks, and I don't know what they represent :S

We continued to the cigar village, where child labour is ever so present. Tried a Cigar, and it wasn't too bad at all.
We stopped off at the Long Neck house, couldn't really call it a village because it was just a family there. We were given a private show of the traditional Long Neck Karen Dance, and I bought a few shirts just to say thank you.

The floating gardens was amazing, as the locals grew all their veggies out on the lake, tomatoes, cucumbers and so fourth! Our last stop before the sunset was the Jumping Cat monastry, to me it was nothing special.

The Sunset was nice, I've seen so many sunsets in Asia, bragging about them has lost all meaning!

The following morning, Koki and I headed to Kakku Paya, East from Inle Lake. We had to stop off in Taungyi to pay our fee and also to pay for a tour guide. A tour guide is COMPULSARY. The good thing was that the tour guide was one of the local hill tribes, the Pa-Oh.

The Kakku Paya group of stupas was very impressing as it contained 2000, YES 2000 stupas all neatly aligned one behind the other. The downside is that many have all been re-stuccoed, from the donations that the city folks give for good merit! The group of stupas are only pleasant to view from a distance, as every single one is almost the same, small, plane and looks new.

On the way back to the airport, we walked through a Pa-Oh village, which was very quiet and peaceful. Everyone was indoors and minding their own business. We were lucky to be invited by an old couple to see their traditional house, and yes it was very basic!

At the airport Koki and I went our own ways, as he was going to Bagan and I was going to Mandalay.... Yay arriving in Mandalay after dark ARGHHH

One the way back