AsiaVietnamHue

R.I.P. 26/11/06, Mourning and then touring Lord Emporer Nguyen's Tombs

Hue Travel Blog

Incense making
That same evening, I jumped on a bus to Danang, and visited the Cham Museum, which contain some very exquisite and intricate examples of Cham Sculptures. It was a trully amazing museum, with many great pieces. And yet again that very same evening, as it got dark I decided I did not want to stay in Danang City, and headed up to Hue via a very tacky looking local bus. It cost me yes 30,000 Dong LOCAL PRICES!!!! for the 2 1/2 hour journey, and of course being a very tacky local tour bus, they loaded more people than licensed... arghhhh

After having dinner, a Xe Om driver approached me and offered a day tour for $7. I of course took up this offer as I have been charged way more for a day tour via a Xe Om.

The following morning, I slept in for a tad and got up at 8:00am.
One of the Tombs at Hue
Our first stop was at the Japanese bridge, which was constructed over 200 years ago. On the bridge I met this very English literate 71 year old lady, Yue. She spoke english so well without the accent because during the 1960's she was married to an American, however he passed away in like the late 60's.

She offered to read my palm, and apparently in 5 months time, I'll have a beautiful girlfriend who will love me very much. By 29 I'll be married and through my marriages, yes marriages apparently I'll wed once, break up and then remarry into a very loving relationship. I'll have 2 kids with my first wife, one girl and one boy, and then with my second wife I'll have another 2 girls and a boy.
By next year, I'll find a very good job, and by my mid 20's I'll make and save enough to live a happy and a healthy life.
Me Me Me
She also said that currently I have 1 very good friend, and my other friendships have deteriated due to conflict, trust and the way they treat me. Even though I am angry at them she said I have not done anything bad back towards them and have not resorted to violence. Also I'll live till 81!!! Eeep something I didn't really want to know LOL.

In regards to the friends section, that was surprisingly true.... and with the 5 kids, as she splurted it out I made a very puzzled look.... LOL

After the Japanese bridge, we visited Tu Hieu Monastry, to watch a service. Then we followed through to the Incense Village to watch some impressive child labor make incense sticks. After taking a few photos we headed to Vong Canh Hill (Bunker Hill) where the South Vietnamese fought the Viet Cong.
Looking out into the horizon

As we arrived at my next destination, Tu Duc Tomb, I received a call from my mum and she told me the bad news. My grandmother back in Cambodia passed away at 8:00am, 26th November 2006. I of course wasn't in a state to tour the tomb, so I sat by the lake and reflected and mourned.....

After a while I continued my tour, and decided to give the other tombs a miss and head onto Thien Mu Pagoda, the unofficial symbol of Vietnam.

Thien Mu Pagoda, located on the side of the Perfume River was an impressive site. The pagoda itself however was currently under restoration, but the unofficial symbol of Vietnam stood tall and proud.

I headed back to town to have lunch and relax at this Internet cafe.....
After this I will be visiting Vietnam's version of China-Beijings "Forbidden City".
.. The "Purple City"

The Purple City wasn't all too extravagent, but its a must see site anyhow if you are in the area. Much of the site is in ruins and theres a few, only a few good photo moments. In the interior of the palace it was forbidden to take photos, and thus many photo opportunities were had straight away.

As I headed out to find a Xe Om, I now totally understand and feel for that English Chick I met in Hoi An. At how she's pissed off at the local people for ripping her off. For the journey from the Purple City to my hotel was no more than 1.5km, the Xe Om driver wanted a hefty amount of 40,000 Dong. I of course pulled out my Lonely Planet to make sure how far it was and straight away exclaimed TOO MUCH, and walked off... He followed me continually lowering the price, but the final price he offered was not what I was willing to pay. On my previous journeys 2km only cost me 6000 Dong, and according to the English chick 6000 is already WAY TOO much in her books. I told the Xe Om 7000, and straight away "DUMA MAY..." and a whole bunch of other crap came splurting out of his mouth. I walked on and another Xe Om approached and we settled on 7000 Dong.
Japanese style bridge