Pak Ou Caves & Kuang Si Waterfalls

Luang Prabang Travel Blog

Villagers
The following day I did 2 day tours, one in the morning by boat to the Pak Ou caves (with thousands of Buddha statues), and a land trip to Kuang Si Waterfall. Each tour also stopped off at 'tourist' catered 'local villagers' selling all kinds of souveniers....

The boat trip to Pak Ou caves was a long journey, and the caves itself wasn't anything too special... I thought maybe the statues were bigger and so fourth but the large majority of them are just tiny statues that the locals have donated. The two villages we stopped at along the way was the Rice Wine Village, but as I said there seemed to only be one house that was making the rice wine, while all the other houses were selling souvenier products, and the paper village.
Buddha Statues at Pak Ou Caves
The paper village was semi interesting as they showed how paper was made and how they imbedded leaves and petals into the paper to sell to tourists... heheh

The land trip to Kuang Si Waterfall was a long dusty and bumpy journey, however the half day tour I did out here does not do the place any justice. There was not enough time to explore the whole park. The waterfall was absolutely amazing, and the many pools that led down the mountain were clear prestine aqua blue water. The limestones underneath gave it such a beautiful artificial colour. Many other tourists were like "Damn, it seems like as if its man made... the park is just too perfect to be natural."

I climbed up to the top of the waterfall via a steep rocky pathway, to only find out that I didn't have enough time to explore the top and to cross the waterfall to come down via the "easier" side.
Pak Ou Caves
.. arghhhh.... So I quickly clambered back down, almost slipping at some points. If you come here make sure you come here bright and early and stay the whole day... it's just so perfect!

That same evening, I stumbled upon Stina in the night markets and we decided to try and find a place to have a beer. Of course we had no luck in finding a nearby pub so we walked further along and popped into a Wat to see the yearly festival. Stina was drawn to some local music and couldn't resist exploration, so we ventured out the back entrance of the temple and sort of invited ourselves into the house where the party was. Of course being of Lao nature, the locals ushered us in even further as we stood at the entrance and watched the party. They offered us free unlimited Beer Lao, food and of course plenty of Lao Dancing.
Prestine Kuang Si Waterfall

According to the Lao tradition, only one person drinks at a time, and the glass is shared around the table. But being foreigners Stina and I were given VIP access and they continually filled our glasses, until I reached the point of feeling absolutely trashed. We jumped on the dance floor for a few rounds of Lao dancing (which is pretty much "same same" to Khmer and Thai dancing, and only slightly "different").

Later that evening a group of about 5 Holland tourists joined us and they all jumped on the dance floor, and had a good time. (OMG I haven't drank to this extent in 17 months, and I am never doing it again...)

The next day I laid dead in my bed till 1pm with a massive hang over, and literally wasted a whole day... sigh... I just don't understand why people would want to travel half way around the world and get trashed everyday and miss out on the real aspects of travelling. Once OK fair enough, but every night? Jesus.

Walking to the Rice Whisky Village