More than enough temples in Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

Chiang Mai, a very cosmopolitan city mixes new with old. The city itself also encompasses the Old City, in which it has large ancient brick gates on all four sides, complete with a moat.

I started the New Years in Chiang Mai, after roaming around the Old City in search of a guesthouse. All the ones that were listed or recommended in the lonelyplanet guide were all full and so it took quiet a while to find one.

For the first night I stayed at a locally catered guesthouse which wasn't so nice. So the following morning I set off early to try and get a room at Janadda, an Australian/Thai run guesthouse. I was in luck, but was very surprised to find that the tours they offered were very expensive.

I told reception that I would choose a tour later on when Kenji arrives from Sukhothai. After a complete American breakfast (at 99B) I started the day visiting the nearby temples within the Old City. There are SOOO many of them that I did not visit them all (I don't think).

The temples I visited were;
- Wat Chiang Mun
- Wat Lam Chang
- Wat Dok Eung
- Wat Umong Mahatherchan
- A pagoda that housed a Buddhe relic
- Wat Chedi Luang (THE BEST, the main temple site was under construction, but what layed behind was the crowning glory. An ancient giant chedi!
- Wat (could not read the Thai script)
- Wat Poh Hong
- Wat Phra Singh
- Wat Prasat

All in all, I was already templed out after visiting Cambodia and Laos. So I didn't find the temples in Chiang Mai all too special. However I know I can never get sick of any ancient ruins ehehhe.

It was a short day, as I got a call from Kenji and we met up, and decided to shop around for a tour. We found a place that had a 3 day/2 Night tour up in the North for a measily 1100B, whereas at Jonadda it was 1700B!

We shared the bunk bed so it took a load off my pockets hehehe.
Wat Chiang Man