Mekhong Delta by Boat

Can Tho Travel Blog

Chilling on the River Cruise
I now wish I had written this journal entry earlier. Arghhh The fucking Vietcunt in Hanoi stole all my crap including my note book. Therefore this entry will be a very quick summary of what I briefly remember.

The tour cost I think $17 for a 2 day tour, we arrived at My Tho by bus, and was loaded onto boats that toured the Mekhong for what seemed like an eternity (and yes 2 days of this!). The Mekhong cruise was a scenic one, but after the first hour it just seemed very repetitive.

What I did not like about these package tours, is that every tour agent in Ho Chi Minh City, took everyone to the same route and the same locations, so we sort of saw more tourists than locals in many parts of the journey!

The Vietnamese, besides all the scams, dodginess, hostility, agressiveness, cockiness are very innovative, smart and creative people. They managed to organise their tours and to incorporate commercial sites like the Coconut Candy village, where they made candy our of Coconut. Every aspect of the coconut, including it's shell, its hairy external parts, the milk, the meat were all utilised in one form or another.

The canal's that we toured through were very well managed and was a very scenic boat ride. However the floating markets on the other hand were nothing that special. According to pictures, Thailand's floating market is much more picturesque.
Coconut Candy
Coconut Candy
*Favourite* - Traditional Vietname…
*Favourite* - Traditional Vietnam…
Barge of fishing boats