AsiaMyanmarBagan

Land of 4000 Stupas

Bagan Travel Blog

Shwezigon Paya
I arrived at Mandalay airport early in the morning before my check-in time of 6:00. The airport wasn't even opened yet, and I didn't get to check in till around 7:30am!

Upon arriving in Bagan and paying a typical expensive fare from the airport to town, I Settled in at Eden Hotel and organised with one of the horse cart drivers (Zah Zoh) that followed me inside the hotel with some day tour packages of Bagan. After agreeing on a price, I told him I would meet him downstairs after breakfast.

Everywhere in Myanmar, at every hotel the only thing they will serve you is the same old eggs and toast. I jumped on the horse cart after breakfast and anticipated the sites of Bagan.
Shwezigon Paya

I don't think I'll describe every temple I visited, as there were quiet a few... as per usual I'll list them and give a short description where necessary.
[ * = how many stars given out of 5 ]
[ ^ = climb to the top ]
[ ~ = murals inside the shrine ]
[ ! = requires someone to open the gates for you, also means you need to give "present" money, damn locals, I already paid $10!.. at this rate in the next few years, every shrine that has a mural and that has a viewing platform will all be locked up]
[ o = good for sunrise ]

- Upalithein Monastry [*] !~
- Khay Min Cha [*****] ^
- Shwe Gu Gyi [*] ^
- Anunda Ok Kyaung [**] ~
- Anunda [***] (The most beautiful in Bagan)
- Maha Bodi Paya (only Indian style shrine at Bagan) [*]
- Gaw Daw Palin [*]
- Mimalong Kyaung [***] ^
- Mi Nyein Gon [******] o^
- Minglazedi [*]
- Nan Paya [*]
- Ma Nu Ha [**]
- Oh Kyaung Gi [*****] C^

The sunset was amazing, and the views on every shrine that allowed one to climb up was trully breathtaking.
Shwezigon Paya
Bagan as a whole is comparable to Angkor! However each individual shrine is nothing special.

The next day I woke up bright and early and set off for the sunrise at Mi Nyein Gon. There were a few other tourists, but it wasn't too crowded. The silohettes and the fog in betweent he ruins were trully amazing, and words cannot describe it! I took many pictures that morning, and pretty much filled a whole 1 gig card during that sunrise. Before the sun rose, while the sun rose, while the mist was lingering, when the hot airballoon in the distance started rising. ARGHHHH because of VietSCAM I had to cancel my Hot Airballoon ride in Bagan. Otherwise I would of been on that airballoon arghhhh I'm soo pissed off. The views from the ruins were already this good, one could only imagine how much better it is up high in the sky ARGHHH.

After sunrise, I popped into Sarabah restaurant to recharge my camera, and to have a cup of coffee.
Shwezigon Paya
After breakfast at one of the local food stalls across the street, we continued our journey to other less touristy ruins.

- Gu Byaukgi [**] ~
- Mya Zei [*]
- La Ka Ou Kyaung [*****] ^!
- Shwe San Don [*****] ^
- To Pin something, cannot read my hand writing because I wrote it while I was on the horse cart! [*]
- Pa Tou Danya [***] ^
- Na Long Kyang (hindu shrine) [*]
- Dhamma Yan Gyi Paya (biggest in Bagan) [***]
- Sula Mani [**]
- Pya Tha Da [*] ^
- Buladi [*****] C^

I had a nice chat with 2 monks up on pa Tou Danya, who were very eagered to visit Angkor Wat one day. They spoke of the government while I tried to hush them to speak softer. After reading the lonely planet I didn't want to get kicked out of the country for speaking ill towards the military government.

Sunset at Buladi was trully amazing, it trully gave me a reason to return to Bagan.
Anunda Pahto