Half Lion, Half Fish - The Blending of Multiple Cultures and Ethics

Singapore Travel Blog

Well I arrived in Sunny Singapore, the blend of multiple cultures. I caught the MRT train from Changi International Airport and arrived in Little India. At first after visiting Inn Crowd, I was a little distraught as it was full and I was thinking to myself O Oh... I won't have enough money to stay at a $60/night joint. I was just paranoid that every budget place was full.

I was in luck as I ventured around Little India and came across Prince of Wales Backpackers Hostel. They had only a few dorm beds available because there were apparently many bookings coming in. I took it straight away as I didn't want to risk losing it if I went out to seek for another place.

As I wandered around Little India, you can see the rich culture that is still retained here. With spice markets, Bollywood film shops and of course the local Indians still dressed in their traditional outfits.

The little area around Little India MRT was a very scenic area where the small shops were all painted in bright colours. Oh Yeh don't be surprised if you see me in some sort of documentary or something because some film/doco makers or something were filming along the strip with large camera equiptments and I just walked right on through hehehe.

After settling in at Prince of Wales, I did a small walking tour of Little India and visited the Sultans Mosque, Istana Kampong Glam (the last royal seat of Singapores Sultans, now turned into a Museum which focuses on the Malays history in Singapore), Sri Veeramakaliamman (the first Shaivite dedicated temples in Singapore), and two other minor Mosques that weren't really of any significance.
Along the trail I walked through the "Thieves Market" which is similar to that of the Trash n Treasure markets back in Melbourne.

I had lunch at a Chinese restaurant and after flicking through the stack of brochures I grabbed from the airport, I decided to head on down to Suntec City to see the largest water fountain in the world and also to watch the sound and lights display at 8pm. The sound and lights display was amazing, around the fountain were 5 towers that represents a hand.

As I returned to Little India, one can distinctly recognise the whole atmosphere, with Hindi music echoeing down the streets, the fragrance of the many delicious Indian dishs and spices.

I'm once again calling it an early night, as I have reached my last few legs of my trip and I'm totally exhausted.
There's quiet a few sites I want to see, after flicking through the brochures, however I may be restricted because entry fees are so high and I'm currently travelling on a very very tight budget as I'm running out of money and I can't access my bank account.

I know its nearly coming to an end, so I look forward to relaxing and just kicking back at home. However if I did have the opportunity to extend my trip like planned, I would continue to strive forward and explore the many other cultures of the world.

The following morning, as I woke up, one of the workers at the hostel was like "you should head to the main street, the Thaipusan festival is on." (and no Thaipusan is not another self-named Thai festival, it's an Indian festival).

I witnesed a gawring parade of devoted Hindu's pierced with countless objects into their backs, bellies and face.
It was literally very bizarre as some of the items were so thick, and the ones that had chains pierced into their back were pulling a cart which was in turn being pulled by another to test hi strength and devotion. Pictures, Pictures, Pictures.

I did a walking tour around the Colonial District and Chinatown. Walking along the main circuit as recommended by the Lonely Planet Guide. However I sort of skipped a few of the minor sites, in terms of just walking past them without bothered to admire the small centrepieces. The Merlion on the bay was a highlight as it faces the sea with a beautiful backdrop of the city and of course the much hated and loved Esplanade Theatre on the Bay (a modern piece of art that many locals claim, resembles the smelly Durian fruit).

I continued on to the war memorial, followed by St Andrew's Cathedral, City Hall, Supreme Court, Old Parliament, Raffle's Landing and finally the Asian Civilisation Museum. The Asian Civilisation Museum was a very interesting stop as it houses the biggest collection of exhibits, coving countries all across Asia.

After the walking day tour, I caught the MRT from Raffles to Chinatown and just had a stroll around the brightly lit Chinatown and watched time passby.