Facing Your Fears - T.I.G.E.R.S

Kanchanaburi Travel Blog

In making my way to Kanchanburi from Petchaburi, I had to change buses at Nakhon Pathom. It is here that the words tallest Buddhist monument stands... Prah Pathom Chedi. The site is the oldest Buddhist site in Thailand, it was constructed during the Dvaravati period, and later added by the Angkor period and finally by one of the kings of Thailand (can't remember which one).

Well my initial plan for my first day in Kanchanburi was to get up early and rent a motorbike to head to the Hellsfire Path. However since I woke up a tad bit late, I had to cancel this daytrip to Hellsfire and just resort to visiting a few minor sites nearby.

The motorbike cost a measily 150B for the day, and I made my way 40km out of town to visit Prasat Muang Singh Historical Park.
Prasat Muang Singh is the western most reach of the Angkor Empire. There were 2 major ruins in the centre and 2 minor ruins to the west. The whole city complex covered I think it was 100 hectares, and contains 4 monuments. Entry was 40B and an additional 20B for the motorbike.

After Prasat Muang Singh I visited the nearby Prehistoric Museum which shows that the area of Prasat Muang Singh was inhabited over 2000 years ago with a sophisticated culture.

My next destination was 7km away, Ban Kao Neolithic Museum, which housed the remains and also other archaelogical finds that a Dutch POW uncovered during the construction of the Death Railway along the Mae Nam Khwae Noi. Entry into the museum was 30B.

After checking the time, it was definately too late to make my way to Hellsfire Path, so I just roamed around the countryside trying to find a cave.
On the main highway there was a sign indicating to turn left, however after riding for around 10km the tar road turned into a red sand road and it broke into 2 and I had no idea which way to go, so I ended up doing a U-turn and headed for T.I.G.E.R temple.

Wat Pa Luangda Maha Bua was indeed a very interesting temple as it housed 19 tigers and of course a variety of other animals such as a few types of deers, goats, pigs, cows, buffalows, chickens, peacocks etc. etc. etc... However the main attraction was of course the tigers.

Entry into the temple was a whopping 300B, but it gave people the opportunity to walk with the tigers, pet the tigers and so fourth. I had my fair share of petting and taking photos, as they say its kind of a once in a life time opportunity.
Ancient Burials within the walls of Prasat Muang Singh

The tigers were led from their cages to the 'tiger canyon'. One of the tigers was so tame that they didn't even put him on a leash, and visitors were able to walk alongside the tiger to the canyon.

At the canyon normal photos where you sit behind the tiger and pet it is totally free. However the "special" photo where you sit down and place the tigers head on your lap was a compulsary 1000B donation. Many of the visitors opted for this, and one man almost and literally I mean almost got mulled by the tiger as he got up. All the monk did was tap the tiger on the head as he was snarling and growling :S.

On the way back into town, I stopped off at the much famed Bridge over the River Kwai... The Death Rail bridge, that was constructed by many POW's during WWII. 70% of the POW's perished during WWII while constructing railways, bridges, hellsfire path etc. And finally before dropping off the motorbike I paid my respects at one of the war memorials in town.

Let There Be P.E.A.C.E
Ancient Burials within the walls o…
Ancient Burials within the walls …
Beautiful countryside of Kanchanab…
Beautiful countryside of Kanchana…
Kanchanaburi