Crazy Tuk Tuk Driving in Bangkok

Bangkok Travel Blog

The following day, Plar took me out into Central Bangkok and I revisited the Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew. It was jam packed with tourists and locals alike. The Grand Palace is a huge enclosure which had some very interesting Royal structures. Wat Phra Kaew was also very interesting as it housed the much praised and famed EMERALD BUDDHA.

At the entrances of Wat Phra Kaew stand multiple Khmer styled bronze Lion statues (Singha statues). It was also interesting to note that the 3 large stupas and temples that lay parallel to Wat Phra Kaew apparently represents three countries that practice Theravada Buddhist. The gold stupa in the Sri Lankin syle, the central pagoda in the Thai style and finally the last pagoda in the Khmer Style. Behind the Thai styled pagoda lay a very rough and unproportional replica of Cambodia's much famed Prasat Angkor Wat, or as the Thai's call it Nakhon Wat.

After arriving back at Plar's home, I quickly made the decision to take a local bus up to Sukhothai that very night to save on time and also to see as much of Thailand as I could.

The bus station was a very large and hectic place. The whole building was even bigger than Phnom Penh's International Airport LOL. Anyhow I got ordered around because of the New Years Rush, where buses were being delayed, redirected to different bays etc etc. In the end I finally settled down on my bus and waved Plar goodbye.

The next stop was Wat Pho, which housed the longest reclining Buddha in Thailand. Totally covered in Gold the reclining Buddha was trully an amazing site.

After the Wat Pho, we visited the National Museum which is the largest Museum in all of Southeast Asia.
The museum had a great selection of artefacts from all periods in Thai history, including many artefacts from the 300+ Khmer ruins that are scattered all over Thailand.

Wat Mahathat wasn't anything special, whereas Wat Benchamabophit was trully a unique temple as it is made out of white Carrara marble. The courtyard behind the main structure sits 53 exquisite Buddha statues, and at the entrances of the temple stand Khmer styled marble Singha's.

Our final stop before calling it a night, was Chatachak weekend markets. This market is the biggest of its kind and literally everything is sold here. I didn't purchase anything, as I plan to do my souvenier shopping towards the end of my trip just in case I run out of money. But it was good to keep an eye out on potential buys and of course the price!

Bangkok