Ancient Underwater Carvings at Kbal Spean

Kbal Spien Travel Blog

Kbal Spean

After the plane ride from Pakse into Siemreap, I wandered around town before heading to a family friends place.

It wasn't till I arrived at my family friend's house that I was surprised to see my dad there sitting there waiting for me. He had come up to Cambodia for my Grandmothers funeral, who passed away a few weeks earlier.

The following day, my family friend, Chear, dropped my dad and I at Angkor Wat for sunrise. Like usual it was crowded with eagered anticipating tourists. It wasn't that amazing because the skies didn't really change to the golden, orange, red, yellow mixture that I witnessed the year before.

After wandering around Angkor in the early morning (when there are few tourists around, because everyone heads back to their hotel and probably goes back to sleeps), we decided to pop by to the Cambodian Cultural Village, and to my surprise the price jumped from a dollar to $2.

Kbal Spean
50. I've already been, but I figured I'd take my dad to go check it out.

After the Cultural Village, we went our own ways and we dropped my dad off at the old market in town. He wasn't really in the mood for a long bike ride out to Kbal Spien.

Kbal Spien is very unique to Cambodia, as it contains miles of carvings under and along the riverbed. The motorbike ride there was very dusty and very rough, as the roads had huge ass potholes. The hike up to Kbal Spien was amazing as nature was at it's best, Peace and Quiet.

We wandered around Kbal Spien, admiring all the underwater carvings of Vishnu, Siva, Linga's and Yoni's before heading back down to have lunch at the base of the mountain.

tvillingmarit says: