The Ancient City of Lopburi

Lopburi Travel Blog

The bus ride from Nakhon Ratchasima to Lopburi was a long boring bus ride. I left my hotel at like 7:00 only to find that the 7:30 bus was cancelled, so I had to hang around the bus station till like 9:00. The bus ride took 3 1/2 hours before arriving at Lopburi bus station.

I originally planned to walk the 1.5km from the New Lopburi, but it was a tad bit warm so I opted for a tuk tuk, which cost me 50B (I realised later I could of just caught a motorbike for 20B). As I entered Old Lopburi, I saw the three famed Khmer Prangs, Prasat Prang Samyod. I settled in SriIndra Hotel just 50m away, and tried to find a internet place so I could transfer all my pictures from my memory to my HD.
I couldn't find one, so I had to pay 40B to get it done at a photography place.

The first ruins I visited was Wat Indra, an Ayutthaya period ruin which was on the corner of the street 100m from Prasat Prang Samyod. Nothing remains of this ruin so I just walked by and took a photo and headed to my next ruin, Prasat Wat Nakhon Kosa. Wat Nakhon Kosa was across the train tracks and consisted of one Khmer Prang, while nearby were a viharn and a mound that oncewas probably a Chedi.

Just 50m away was Prasat Phra Kahn, another Khmer ruin that houses the famed Phra Kahn. The ruin itself was made of laterite and had monkeys swarming everywher. Just across the street was Prasat Prang Samyod, the famous three prangs constructed with laterite. Scattered around the Prasat were dozens of little monkeys.
(Lopburi has a monkey problem, but the locals refused to kill it because they believe they are the guardians, and also due to religion... monkey gods and so fourth) Entry into Prasat Prang Samyod was 30B, I took pictures from outside the gates and headed to Prasat Khaek, located about 100m down the street. A smaller version of Prasat Prang Samyod, Prasat kaek had 3 prangs as well but constructed with bricks.

Chao Phraya Wichayen, was of no interest to me so I just took a photo from the outside. I then headed to Wat Sao Thong Thong, once again it was of no significance to me as there were no ruins within the Wat, it just looked like another Wat, but uglier.

Phra King Narai's palace, was an interesting stop. Entry was 30B and contained many ruins within the compound. Towards the back of the compound were some buildings that acted as a museum.
Within the museum it had quiet a number of artefacts from both the Ayutthaya period and the so called Lopburi period. Many of the pieces that are of Khmer origin however lacked any sort of information and just stated "found in Lopburi". So it is questionable as to where they were originally from.

Prasat Wat Mahathat was yet another grand site, entry was 30B. The complex was huge, with a Khmer Prang in the centre and smaller ruins lay around the prang which were onstructed during the Ayutthaya period. The people at the TAT office (Tourist Authority of Thailand) clearly believes that the prang is a Thai prang and not a Khmer one :S. Across the road from Wat Mahathat was a small Ayutthaya ruin, Wat Bandai Hin.

I called it a night and had some dinner at one of the street stalls. I had Fried Free (Pad Thai) and a Papaya salad... mmmmm.

I just wonder why do the Thai's label everything Thai, when you translate it, it doesn't make any sense. Pad = Fried, Thai = Free (fine fair enough they want to label it Thai but Fried Thai?)
Prasat Kaek