800+ Happy, Energetic and Excited Children

Prey Veng Travel Blog

Just Doing Business
At the break of dawn, Bohng Phatry and I woke up at 5:45, in order to meet up with the students from the University of Cambodia.

It was INDEPENDENCE DAY, and they were celebrating it bright and early at the Independence Monument. So while we waited for the late comers to arrive, we watched parts of the ceremony as school kids came flocking by and lining up to wave the Cambodian flag. The flame was lit and will be alight for 3 consecutive days. Not sure what else happened as we left once everyone arrived and once the bus driver was replaced as he was feeling ill.

Our destination was a rural primary school in Prey Veng province. (Can't remember the name of the school, will have to acquire it from Bohng Phatry).

Along the journey, one of the bus tyres popped, so we all jumped out and pretty much enjoyed the scenery and watched the lone bus driver change the tyre on his own.
Philanthropy work, all for a good cause

As we arrived at the school, we were surprised to see the state of the school. There were broken windows, windows hanging off of one hinge, and of course missing windows.

Hundreds of school kids came flocking out of the classrooms as we arrived. Of course it was a public holiday, but they all came for the event!

All the students from Grades 1-6 lined up in their respectful classes, and we all broke up into groups and interacted with the kids. There were questions and answers, quizes, singing and even crying!

Afterwards we gathered into a whole group and started giving out stationary sets (containing, a couple of excercise books, pencils, pens, erasers, sharpeners, rulers) to each student. There were a total of 840 students that received the package.

After their thanks and their grateful smiles, we headed off to Ba Phnom for lunch.
Discovery of a new Land
I of course had already been here the year before, so it wasn't anything new. After lunch the students gathered around Lok Kru (the teacher in charge) who was giving them a speech about life, about helping others and so fourth. I understood bits and pieces of it, as many words were pretty new to me, even so it was a very captivating and admiring speech.

Lok Kru also mentioned similar events to be held in the near future. I would of loved to attend, but I already had plans for my Vietnam and Laos trip :S :S :S.

That night after arriving back in Phnom Penh, I went to retrieve my SD Card that I left with an Internet Joint to try and recover some pics. After a whole day of recovering the pics were unrecoverable ARGHHHH I lost 100 pictures of my trip in Siemreap province... A WHOLE DAY TRIP!!!!
Just Doing Business
Philanthropy work, all for a good …
Philanthropy work, all for a good…
@ Ba Phnom