307 Steps up Doi Suthep

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

After heading back from the 3 day/2 night trek, Kenji and I rented a motorbike and headed up to Doi Suthep temple. I of course drove because kenji had never driven a manual motorbike, and he wasn't planning to try it anytime soon in the busy Chiang Mai traffic.

Along the way we stopped off at Wat Khu Tao, which was a so so temple, nothing too fancing, we both gave it 1 star.

Wat Ched Yot, which was a fairly interesting ancient Thai temple compound, housing a variety of stupas, pavilians, and other minor ruins. ***

The journey up to Doi Suthep was an interesting one, as it was my first time riding a motorbike up the bendy mountain of Doi Suthep. We arrived safe and sound and from the very top had some very foggy views of Chiang Mai City, and Chiang Mai International AIrport.
Doi Suthep temple was a very busy temple, with many locals visiting and giving their offerings to the temple. The golden stupa at the very centre was the main highlight as the suns ray reflected off the metalic surface.

The next stop, not far from Chiang Mai Old City was Wat Suan Dok, which had a beautiful and very different pure white stupa. Considering that most of Thailand is all done up with colours, glass, and flashy colours, this simply white painted stupa stood out and was much more captivating and appealing. ***

After Wat Suan Dok, we whizzed onto Wieng Khum Kam... omg I actually remembered the right pronunciation. Over the last 2-3 days I've been saying Wang Kum Khiem, Wieng Kam Khum, and all sorts of other weird and whacky pronunciations.

Wieng Khum Kam is an ancient city that predates Thailand or the Kindom of Siam. It doesn't have much remaining except a range of brick bases that scatter around the ancient city. It was interesting however when we came upon single stupa structures in the middle of no where.

The ruins we visited were;
- Wat Chang
- Wat Nan Chang (nothing remains)
- Wat Pupia
- Wat That Khao
- Wat Kapa Dom (nothing remains)

On returning to Chiang Mai Old City, we were very hungry and was looking forward to having a traditional Chiang Mai noodle soup, Kao Soi. Kao Soi, to me was just another noodle soup that had nothing really special. Well considering I'm asian, all noodles and rice dishs are probably the same to me!
Wat That Khao