AsiaJapanTokyo

Prologue

Tokyo Travel Blog

I don't really know why I decided to visit Tibet in this winter.

Initially I was going to either Malaysia or Indonesia to climb Kinabalu or Mt. Rinjani, but my schedule didn't meet Rinjani as it's closed during January and I didn't like the idea to climb some mountain that is busy with Japanese tourists (Kinabalu for New Year). Whilst thinking about where to go, suddenly Eastern Tibet came up to my mind.
Ganze and Derge had been my dream destination since I was a student, but still hadn't had any chances to visit there since then. Then I was checking some Japanese travel blog and found out that 10 days would be ok to visit that area (I am not saying it's enough. 10 days is doable to visit that area.) And without deciding where I was going, I realized myself booking a round ticket to Chengdu.

After a tiny bit of further research, I found some pics of Larung Gar Buddhist Institute online. It had caught my eyes. A mountain was covered by tiny houses where Tibetans are living. It was some unbelievable view. I really wanted to visit there, but it made me nervous that it's located at 4000meters high and temperature can be -25degrees celcius in winter. I didn't know how much I would be able to cope with the climate. And moreover, it was the temple where foreigners are banned to visit due to Chinese government's policy as it's the world biggest monastery and many rebels and demos against Chinese occupancy of Tibet happen at times there.

Even after buying the "world most maniac Tibetan travel guide", I still didn't know where to visit or I could visit the places where I would go. There was not so much information about the area either even online or on the book.

Having a big uncertainity, the day of departure finally came.

Apurva_N says:
Lovely blog
Posted on: Jan 27, 2014
tzeder says:
Great Blog Nobuko! Lovely photos too :)
Posted on: Jun 22, 2013
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured blog!! -25C hey? LOL it's -28C right now where I live!! YUCK!
Posted on: Jan 12, 2013