Visiting Africa

Madrid Travel Blog

I woke up at 7:30am and I had a generous breakfast as today I would need lots of energy. I also drank as much as posible as I know the temperature was going to be high. Then I starting puting some clothes on. Light clothes as the heat will be really strong.

Before leaving, I checked my photo equipment one last time. I had everything ready, my lenses, extra batteries, cleaning kit, compact flash cards... Today was going to be my first contact with the animals from Africa… didn´t want to miss a thing.

Where was I heading?.... Serengeti? Nope… the Madrid Zoo! Hahah.. well I had to practise the whole process before getting to Tanzania! ;) Maria, Jimmy and their son were coming with me. They laughed when they saw me as I looked like if I was going to a real safari.

Once we got in, I took out out my 100-400 L IS and people looked at me funny. Then we went straight to the Tiger´s cage. Mmmmm… to tell you the truth it is quite sad. You can tell animals are not happy and really bored in such a small space. You could see the tigers at the distance but with my camera I could get really close. Then I heard from the crowd: “Man, look at that guy, I am sure he can take a Picture of the tiger´s eyes!”… hahah I am not sure I looked like a safari pro or a paparazzi! ☺

It was really hot and the animals looked like dead on the ground. No moves, no breaths… that is not Africa, it is Madrid! Now I know why I have to spend so much Money going to Tanzania! ☺

At least the Dolphin show was surprisingly good…
clarity25 says:
Fascinating entry and amazing pictures!
Posted on: Jul 15, 2007
Madrid Sights & Attractions review
The zoo in Madrid is quite well preserved although it is definitely kind of depressing to see so many animals in such a small area. I guess that for … read entire review