the famous Douglas Jackalope
Douglas, WY is the home of the Jackalope (a giant rabbit with horns). The first jackalope was described by hunters in 1829 but it became famous in 1941 when a taxidermist in Douglas produced one and got the newspapers to print photos. Lots of jackalope copies have been produced since but no place has as many jackalopes as the little town of Douglas.
In addition to the jackalope, Douglas has two other attractions: Ft. Fetterman and a Natural Bridge. Of course we visited both.
Our trip just happens to be covering most of the major sites associated with Gen. Custer and the 1876 Indian Wars.
It wasn’t planned that way. Today we discovered that Douglas, WY had played a major part in the summer of 1876. Ft. Fetterman had been established in 1862 as one of the Army’s supply points for operating against the Indians. It was one of the three forts supplying troops in the summer of 1876 for the major Yellowstone and Big Horn campaign to move the Indians onto reservations. Gen. Crook was stationed in Ft. Fetterman and left from here on his way to the Battle at Rosebud Creek.
1876 officers quarters at Ft Fetterman
The fort we visited is a recreation of the original and has a restored officers’ quarters furnished as they would have been in 1876. The rest of the fort contains diagrams of the various military campaigns and the grounds have views over the North Platte River. Ft. Fetterman was also the beginning of the Boozeman trail
The Natural Bridge is a park centered around a natural formation in a red rock valley with a stream running thru it. Very pretty. After watching a boy and his grandfather fish the stream, we left for Cheyenne, WY.