Grand Teton Park

Jackson Travel Blog

sunset at Chapel of the Transfiguration in Grand Teton National Park

From Salt Lake City we went east, up into the mountains and into Wyoming.  The scenery changed from mountain pines to arid rolling grassland so we went north to get back into the hills.  Fossil Butte is here and the road signs not only give elevation but also geological era.

The drive north to Jackson along the Snake River is beautiful, a fitting prelude to the Teton Mountains.  Our Jackson motel was straight out of the 1950’s (including no air conditioning) but in downtown Jackson within easy walking distance of shopping and restaurants.

We tried the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar, mainly because it looked Western and had some great hamburgers.  (It also offered Elk and Bison burgers but I wasn’t feeling quite that Western.)  It was hot (over 98) and the town of Jackson was crowded with bikers and other tourists.

At sunset we escaped into Grand Teton Park and Menor’s Ferry.  The old ferry is just north of the Moose Junction park office and has a stupendous view of the mountains behind the old general store.  We wandered down to the river and saw a bull moose wading, trying to cool off too I suppose.

The collection of buildings at Menor’s Ferry includes a chapel with clear glass windows near the altar.  Instead of stained glass you see the beauty of the mountains and at sunset the sun streams in, illuminating the altar.  Perfect ending to a beautiful day.

Sybaritic says:
Hi Pam, I think I've been to the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar. Do they have saddles as bar stools? I was there as a drop-off to fly-fishing the Snake River. I enjoyed Jackson a lot!
Posted on: Aug 04, 2007
sunset at Chapel of the Transfigur…
sunset at Chapel of the Transfigu…
moose at Menors Ferry