Beginning of a long awaited journey!

Istanbul Travel Blog

Turkey has been on top of my list of places to visit for so long! I had been to Istanbul before, and loved it, but it only made my desire to travel around this amazing country even stronger.

I am not crazy about history, and can't see myself excited about seeing some ruins for more than 5 minutes. After seeing so many during my travels, I find then all pretty much the same. What gets me excited are natural wonders, beautiful landscapes, peaceful corners, authentic streets, food and drinks. And Turkey's got it all!

This trip was to be a little bit different than any of the other trips I had made. It didn't include any city touring, or historical sites. I wanted to do something Turkish culture is all about, relax and enjoy the beauty that surrounds us. And since this trip somehow ended up being during my birthday I just wanted to make my biggest travel wishes come true :)

So it all started with a flight to Istanbul. It was a short and smooth flight. We landed just in time to watch sunset over this glorious city! It was a beautiful sight. Passport control was quick, and I got my bag as soon as I arrived to the baggage claim. I proceeded to the metro, on my way to the main bus station. It's a long walk from the International Terminal to the Metro. My backpack wasn't that big or heavy, but I was again mad at myself for not taking a wheeled suitcase. I've always been a backpacker, so it's hard to get out of that culture I guess. Now that I have had some knee problems for over a year, I should really convert to wheels. Next time, I promised myself again :)

It's very easy to get to the main bus terminal from the airport. I took metro and got off at Otogar stop, which is just below the main bus station in Bayrampasa neighborhood. After exiting the underground I had difficulty seeing the bus terminal. All you see are flashing signs over stores or offices, and I later realized this is all bus companies’ offices, and the actual buses are behind the offices. I found Metro company, and decided to get the first ticket to Goreme in Cappadocia. It was all very easy. Ticket was 65TL, and bus was leaving in half an hour, at 9pm. It was to be a 12 hour overnight journey. I had heard some great stuff about Turkish buses, and was eager to experience them. Bus was truly nice, big and comfortable, with screen in front of everybody's chair, just like on an airplane. My seat was next to a big lady with a cane, and I worried for a bit if this would be a problem, but it wasn't. There is an attendant, and during the ride we got some drinks, and snacks.

FurkanS says:
hi :) hope you enjoyed Turkey :) Sevgilerimle.
Posted on: Aug 23, 2015
cimtech says:
Excellent blog, I leaned a lot specially about the places I missed during my previous trip to Turkey ! Thanks for sharing.
Posted on: Jul 22, 2013
dardeb says:
Thanks for the congrats everybody!
Much appreciated! :)